Thule Rack - Attach to chrome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thule Rack - Attach to chrome?

Hello. I recently bought a set of Thule Foot Pack w/ square bars for my '88. I'm curious as to how exactly I should go about attaching them on the rain gutter. The inner part of the rain gutter has a small chrome lip: am I supposed to attach it above the lip (aka in the gutter space)? Or should I attach it on top of the chrome lip? I installed one foot and it seemed loose either way. Anyone have any experiences with these? I don't want to end up with a broken chrome piece... Thanks.
    Attached Files
    "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

What type of roof rack mount do you have? i have the rain gutter roof rack towers, and there are rubber pads that are attached, the rubber pad goes into the rain gutter, and then when you tighten it down it clamps under the chrome piece.

Comment

Originally posted by rwtags View Post
      What type of roof rack mount do you have? i have the rain gutter roof rack towers, and there are rubber pads that are attached, the rubber pad goes into the rain gutter, and then when you tighten it down it clamps under the chrome piece.
      I got the Thule 300 (A1), it's the correct model for e30s. What brand do you have?
      I installed the bars earlier today and they seem pretty solid but I'm still kinda worry about the part behind the chrome potentially chipping the paint. I bought the pack used and the rubber pads seem to be nearly disintegrated. I understand that when I tighten it, it clamps under the chrome piece. What I don't understand, like I just said, is the top part that's behind the chrome. I'm contemplating on getting 3m mounting tape and gluing it in the gutter.
      Attached Files
      "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

Working...
      X