Euro Parking lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro Parking lights

I have been thinking about adding euro foglights and euro parking lights to a US spec e30 since I have the dash out already. For the parking lights to work correctly, the euro cars have unique ignition switch and turn signal stalks and have the parking lights wired like this:

Assuming I buy the euro switches, does anyone know of a reason this wouldn't work? Are the US and euro ignition switches compatible aside from the parking light switch that is added to the euro model?
    e30sport.net
    '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
    '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
    '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

were you able to make this work?
    ------------------------------------
    01.5 S4 Avant - Sold
    88 325iS - In pieces
    91 e34 - Totaled by some dumbass
    90 325i - Daily
    06 e91 - Sold

feedback thread

Comment

I've been looking into this too. I would imagine that all you would need is a euro turn signal stalk, assuming that the North American one doesn't have the provisions for the extra wires. I know that on my NA spec Mk3 GTI, the turn signal stalk had the provisions for the parking light, (a wire from the ignition to the turn stalk, and from the turn stalk to the fuse box) and it was made in Mexico, so I don't see the reason that BMW would design a completely different stalk for the North American market. I would need to look at my stalk to make sure and I will be going outside here to look at it soon. I have a highlighted photo from a Haynes manual that shows another perspective. I also compared this diagram to the North American wiring diagram and it looks like the splices needed to be made is to be just before the headlight switch and just after.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	euro E30 parking light.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	9926820

Comment

Ok, so I stand corrected. it looks like BMW actually made a switch for the North American market. I took out my turn signal lever and found 4 spaces that could have wire terminals there but were blanked. It looks like you'd have to open up the US switch to get those 4 terminals in there. That isn't something I'd want to do. Looks like ordering the Euro switch is the best option to go. Looks like the euro switch part number for models without airbag and obc is 61311373020
        It also looks like you'd need to buy a new ignition switch too, as it looks like the power for the parking lights comes from it. Makes sense too, you don't want your parking light and tail light coming on when the car is running. That ignition switch part number is: 61321374868.

Last edited by DiamondSchwartz; 05-19-2020, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X