Check Panel false light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check Panel false light

the "brake light" light is on on my check panel, but there is not a problem with my brake lights. All 3 of them light up correctly when the brake is pressed.

The light on the check panel comes on every time I start the car, it sometimes turns off after driving for a bit, but not very often.

What the heck is going on with it? I would mind that much if it wasn't for the huge blinking "CHECK" light in the dash that makes me have to press the button. The car has done this as long as I've owned it, so I can't trace it to some change I made.

TIA
    2002 530i - Daily
    2013 Ford Flex Ecoboost - wifes/family hauler
    1986 325es - fun car (or money pit depending on who you ask)

My build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=422370

Does the check light go off after you hit the brakes for the first time? If so thats normal operation. The light will always turn on when you start the car until the first time the brake lights turn on.
    e30sport.net
    '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
    '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
    '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Originally posted by BeirBrennerE30 View Post
      Does the check light go off after you hit the brakes for the first time? If so thats normal operation. The light will always turn on when you start the car until the first time the brake lights turn on.
      Usually it stays on, sometimes it turns off.
      2002 530i - Daily
      2013 Ford Flex Ecoboost - wifes/family hauler
      1986 325es - fun car (or money pit depending on who you ask)

My build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=422370

Comment

your brake light switch could be broken or misadjusted. that is the most common reason this doesn't turn off. Either that or the bulbs are wrong or the sockets are corroded.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Check panel systems typically fail because the transistors which control the LED indicators fail over time. Ive fixed a few of these.
          Owner - Bavarian Restoration
          BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
          www.BavRest.com
          My Feedback Thread
          Our Facebook!
          Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Working...
          X