Bayside Fabrication S54 E30 Subframe Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayside Fabrication S54 E30 Subframe Solution

Stay Tuned!!!! I have appreciated feed black on my original design and noted some potential flaws there may be. I am re designing my subframe and oil pan modification. I have talked to fellow fabricators and e30 gurus and there’s no reason to re invent the wheel in this case. I should have a updated design within a week.
    Last edited by Widebody325; 03-20-2019, 02:16 PM.
    Follow me @baysidefabrication on Instagram

Resize your pics so they are 1920x1080 max. Otherwise we gotta scroll to read and see the images left to right.
    The other solution, make the pics small say 800x600, then wrap the IMG with URL so users can click an image for the very large image. IE:
    PHP Code:
    [URL="http://www.mypics.com/pictureLarge.jpg"][IMG]www.mypics.com/pictureSmall.jpg[/IMG][/URL

Glad to see your solution offered btw!
    Last edited by R3Z3N; 02-20-2019, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Comment

looks like a bad idea to me. i think the left and right mount are connected together for more than 1 reason and you seem to have removed a large one of them without providing alternate means. the mounts are cantitelvering off the body? the addition bracing wont make up for that IMO and the bolt group wont like that
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
          looks like a bad idea to me. i think the left and right mount are connected together for more than 1 reason and you seem to have removed a large one of them without providing alternate means. the mounts are cantitelvering off the body? the addition bracing wont make up for that IMO and the bolt group wont like that
          I’m not sure if we are looking at the same pictures here but there is certainly a cross member connecting both left and right subframe mounts. It just sits in front of the steering rack. The 2 additional body mounts provide additional support and rigidity to the entire subframe over and above stock configuration. The subframe mounts are reinforced with 3/16 angle then plated with 1/8”. This is a much, much more robust subframe than what has been offered by anyone else.

Comment

The tube will support the rack but not the engine mount forces it's too far away and not enough stiffness to be affective. IMO you need to form a torsion box and gusset to the memeber that spans across. a rectangular hollow section is the preffered section you end up with much better weld details

Last edited by digger; 02-21-2019, 12:19 AM.
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
              The tube will support the rack but not the engine mount forces it's too far away and not enough stiffness to be affective. IMO you need to form a torsion box and gusset to the memeber that spans across. a rectangular hollow section is the preffered section you end up with much better weld details

I’m going to disagree with you’re opinion. This setup is exponentially stronger than the factory subframe. Everything is plated with 1/8” plate and there is 3/16” angle reinforcing the original subframe. There’s additional mounting points to further support the setup. This design works and works well even if you don’t think so.

Comment

With this subframe, would you have to pull the engine to remove the rack? Or is the enough room to support the motor independently and remove the subframe/rack to finagle the rack out? Just thinking about future maintenance/mods. Looks cool either way.

I think you'll be fine with this style. It's real similar to the way I modded my subframe to fit the volvo turbo motor, except you added more bracing! Ha.
                84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Originally posted by iansane View Post
                  With this subframe, would you have to pull the engine to remove the rack? Or is the enough room to support the motor independently and remove the subframe/rack to finagle the rack out? Just thinking about future maintenance/mods. Looks cool either way.

I think you'll be fine with this style. It's real similar to the way I modded my subframe to fit the volvo turbo motor, except you added more bracing! Ha.
                  There’s definately no issues with this style or design. It’s certainly stronger than oem. To remove rack you have to pull the subframe. However, all I do is lay 2-2x6 on edge and bridge across engine bay. Then I take the weight off the engine with a ratchet strap to the lift eye. Takes about 5 mins but you have to pull fenders.
                  Last edited by Widebody325; 02-22-2019, 06:18 AM.

Comment

product knowledge

I am definitely interested since Tyler is no longer providing the service. However I am not entirely sold on it until it's been mass produce and flaws that are not notice has been fixed . Is the product in the picture the first one you made? Also is the rack mounts custom for e30 ps rack or e36/e46 ps?

Comment

Originally posted by ararod9 View Post
                      I am definitely interested since Tyler is no longer providing the service. However I am not entirely sold on it until it's been mass produce and flaws that are not notice has been fixed . Is the product in the picture the first one you made? Also is the rack mounts custom for e30 ps rack or e36/e46 ps?
                      This is the first one and it’s in my car. I understand your concerns since there isn’t a bunch out there. As far as flaws I’m not sure what you are referring to. It’s a reinforced steel subframe with additional mounting provisions. There’s nothing really crazy going on here other than being super beefy. The rack is spaced for stock e30. Or you can just run spacers and do a e36/46 rack too. I mean if people want me to make a subframe like Tyler’s because they trust I can. I just feel it’s a inferior product compared to this.

Comment

Give the people what they want lol. All jokes aside i perfer something like Tyler but adding what you feel needs improvement such as reinforced mounting points. Adding the option for a e46 ps rack is a plus for me and I’m sure for other people doing the swap. If it’s something you can work out for me i will be happy for your service.

Comment

Originally posted by ararod9 View Post
                          Give the people what they want lol. All jokes aside i perfer something like Tyler but adding what you feel needs improvement such as reinforced mounting points. Adding the option for a e46 ps rack is a plus for me and I’m sure for other people doing the swap. If it’s something you can work out for me i will be happy for your service.
                          No offense to Tyler but his early options had issues cracking and were not up to what I would consider to be “the best way”. My design keeps oil pan almost stock configuration. Also the rack you see in my setup is a e46m3 rack.

Comment

This design is a lot better than the “other” style. I agree with diggers comments as a good place to add bracing to tie things together better.

As mentioned, you added a lot of plating which will strengthen the cantilevered mounts. The plating thickness you used is beefy!
                            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by Widebody325 View Post
                              This setup is exponentially stronger than the factory subframe.
                              Where's the data? What is the deflection of your ball joint mount with 1000# of lateral load vs deflection of the ball joint mount in the stock crossmember?

Don't have structural test data? Ok, just post screen caps of your FEA with the same load conditions.

Don't have either of those?

Then you really have no idea how its strength compares to stock.

Sure, you made a lot of welds and because of that you really WANT it to be stronger than stock because you're personally invested in the product.

But you should not let that blind you to the fact that you are presenting the argument that your product is stronger WITH ZERO DATA.

To me it looks like you've braced it well against braking loads (the braces that go back to the firewall) but it's going to be fairly floppy for cornering loads.

Comment

Working...
                              X