No announcement yet.

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think the z3 Has a 2 and a half turning radius...........

M52 |S52 Cams|E36 Rack Swap|GC Coilover Kit |. . . . . . . . . More To Come

Comment

Actually I think the Z3 rack is 2.8 turning radius as opposed to the 95 M3 rack having 3.0

Comment

When you put the z3 rack in the e30, you get about a 2.9 ratio... not quite 2.7 in the z3, not quite 3.0... but 2.9. But it was easily the best mod I did to the cabrio.

-Addis

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
        On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
        BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

It seems that euro E30's have different steering joint. I found good instruction for RHD cars, either zionsville way or the RHD way won't work with euro parts. I have no idea what joint to use.

Help.
          Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
          BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
          BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
          BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

well got my e36 rack today for $8. thanks for the write up and parts list!
            NEED SOME VINYL STICKERS???

Comment

Originally posted by Rocla View Post
              It seems that euro E30's have different steering joint. I found good instruction for RHD cars, either zionsville way or the RHD way won't work with euro parts. I have no idea what joint to use.

Help.
              Might something similar to the E36 joint because I notice that sometimes the realoem etk show a completely different joint for some reason in the first few diagrams you can choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritalin Kid View Post
                Might something similar to the E36 joint because I notice that sometimes the realoem etk show a completely different joint for some reason in the first few diagrams you can choose from.
                Euro e36 joint has nothing in common with euro e30 joint. I have both and can't figure out what to use, nothing fits and euro e30 joint can't be shortened.
                Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
                BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

In the articles section at www.e30zone.co.uk they have a write up of how to retro fit the E36 rack on euro E30 cars using parts from both the e30 and e36 knuckle.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritalin Kid View Post
                    In the articles section at www.e30zone.co.uk they have a write up of how to retro fit the E36 rack on euro E30 cars using parts from both the e30 and e36 knuckle.
                    For RHD car, will not workyworky with my LHD car :(

I think I should get U.S. e30 or RHD e36joint joint. Both veryhard to come by over here.
                    Last edited by Rocla; 03-12-2007, 06:59 AM.
                    Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
                    BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

I started working on my 95 M3 rack swap today. What a bitch.

The tabs on the M3 rack were bent so hard against he tie rods I had to just break the locking tab to get them out.

The pipes that come off of the rack and go back into the rack are in the way of the subframe so I had to bend them.

The knuckle doesn't have enough room for a run-of-the-mill M10x50 bolt, you need one with a small head to clear the curved part of the knuckle. One of the plastic inserts broke so now the bolt is a little sloppy.

I was going to cut a spacer I found laying around for the knuckle, but at this point I think I'm just going to use the washers I had on there for a mock-up, it seems like it distributed the weight better then my skinny spacer.

On a good note, I used the upper seat belt mounting bolt spacers from an e30 as my rack mounting spacers, worked perfect.

I don't have power steering now and don't plan on reinstalling it, so thank god I don't have to worry about that shit.

And before some smart ass replies, Yes, I did think the rack was just going to drop right in with no effort, haha.
                      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                      e30 restoration and V8 swap
                      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                        And before some smart ass replies, Yes, I did think the rack was just going to drop right in with no effort, haha.

Man that is too much work for an pink Eta . :p

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
                          Man that is too much work for an pink Eta . :p
                          lol

I'm building a k27 motor for it... no more eta soon enough.

I kind of like the little thing though, in it's 5300 rpm's of glory.
                          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                          e30 restoration and V8 swap
                          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

I'm planning to do a rack swap in my E30 vert.

I came across a rack that is apparently from a Z3 M Roadster, and also fits all euro E36 sedan or coupe.

The research I've done says that Z3 or any US spec E36 rack will fit. It doesn't say the M Roadster or euro spec E36 racks won't fit.

I don't know the difference in racks between a euro spec and US spec E36, but assuming there is none, why wouldn't the euro rack be suitable for use to swap on an E30?

Can anyone confirm the euro spec rack will not fit, and if not, why?
                            sigpic
                            Winner - Best Engine, Bimmercruise 2010
                            Runner Up - e30 Wild Category, Bimmercruise 2010
                            Winner - Best Cabrio, Trillium @ Tedfest 2011
                            Winner - e30 Wild Category, Bimmercruise 2011
                            www.vertnation.com
                            My car in Berlin Klassic promo video

Comment

Originally posted by talltorontoguy View Post
                              I'm planning to do a rack swap in my E30 vert.

I came across a rack that is apparently from a Z3 M Roadster, and also fits all euro E36 sedan or coupe.

The research I've done says that Z3 or any US spec E36 rack will fit. It doesn't say the M Roadster or euro spec E36 racks won't fit.

I don't know the difference in racks between a euro spec and US spec E36, but assuming there is none, why wouldn't the euro rack be suitable for use to swap on an E30?

Can anyone confirm the euro spec rack will not fit, and if not, why?
                              AFAIK All LHD racks bolt on, only the steering joint is different U.S. vs euro.
                              Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
                              BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Can you use Z3 tie rods if you installed a z3 rack? I bought a reman Z3 rack that had new inner tie rods already nicely installed and with proper boot clamps, but I just realized the z3 inners won't work with the e30 outers.. I can either replaced the inners with my old e30 tie rods or buy new z3 outers, I'm just concerned they won't be the right length or won't have the right bends.. Has anyone done this? Used z3 rack and tie rods in an e30?

Thanks,
                                Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X