Mexico decriminalizes small-scale drug possession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mexico decriminalizes small-scale drug possession

Original article here: http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

MEXICO CITY (AP) - Mexico decriminalized small amounts of marijuana, cocaine and heroin on Friday—a move that prosecutors say makes sense even in the midst of the government's grueling battle against drug traffickers.

Prosecutors said the new law sets clear limits that keep Mexico's corruption-prone police from extorting casual users and offers addicts free treatment to keep growing domestic drug use in check.

"This is not legalization, this is regulating the issue and giving citizens greater legal certainty," said Bernardo Espino del Castillo of the attorney general's office.

The new law sets out maximum "personal use" amounts for drugs, also including LSD and methamphetamine. People detained with those quantities no longer face criminal prosecution.

Espino del Castillo says, in practice, small users almost never did face charges anyway. Under the previous law, the possession of any amount of drugs was punishable by stiff jail sentences, but there was leeway for addicts caught with smaller amounts.

"We couldn't charge somebody who was in possession of a dose of a drug, there was no way ... because the person would claim they were an addict," he said.

Despite the provisions, police sometimes hauled in suspects and demanded bribes, threatening long jail sentences if people did not pay.

"The bad thing was that it was left up to the discretion of the detective, and it could open the door to corruption or extortion," Espino del Castillo said.

Anyone caught with drug amounts under the new personal-use limit will be encouraged to seek treatment, and for those caught a third time treatment is mandatory.

The maximum amount of marijuana for "personal use" under the new law is 5 grams—the equivalent of about four joints. The limit is a half gram for cocaine, the equivalent of about 4 "lines." For other drugs, the limits are 50 milligrams of heroin, 40 milligrams for methamphetamine and 0.015 milligrams for LSD.

Mexico has emphasized the need to differentiate drug addicts and casual users from the violent traffickers whose turf battles have contributed to the deaths of more than 11,000 people since President Felipe Calderon took office in late 2006.

But one expert saw potential for conflict under the new law.

Javier Oliva, a political scientist at Mexico's National Autonomous University, said the new law posed "a serious contradiction" for the Calderon administration.

"If they decriminalize drugs it could lead the army, which has been given the task of combating this, to say 'What are we doing'?" he said.

Officials said the legal changes could help the government focus more on big-time traffickers.

Espino del Castillo said since Calderon took office, there have been over 15,000 police searches related to small-scale drug dealing or possession, with 95,000 people detained—but only 12 to 15 percent of whom were ever charged with anything.
    This is excellent news! I'm not a drug user, but I do believe people have the right to decide what goes into their bodies. I think the financial cost of the 'war on drugs' hurts everyday citizens far more than the actual use of the drugs or the drug users themselves. People who want drugs are going to get them anyway (just like guns). Prohibiting them creates a black market which provides a revenue source for criminals, the people we actually want off the street. I hear a lot of talk about decriminalizing Marijuana, but Mexico did it right by also decriminalizing cocaine, heroin, LSD, and meth. Personally, I'd rather see cleaner, safer, cheaper cocaine produced by pharmaceutical companies available for rather low cost in American pharmacies. How many people would use meth if they could afford the cheaper, safer drug?

Mexico officially has wiser politicans than the US. You heard it here first people!
    Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
    Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzen View Post
      Mexico officially has wiser politicians than the US. You heard it here first people!
      That's really not that hard though, to have wiser politicians that is.

Comment

Massachusetts did that for weed last year. But did not make it legal to have just took the felony part out of it.

As a parent, I dislike the law.
        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

I agree, I think drugs are BAD and I would never use that crap, but people should be able to decide if they want to. Notice that it is not "legal", just "decriminalized", so if you're found will a couple joints, you just pay a fine, almost like you got a speeding ticket or something.
          1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
            Massachusetts did that for weed last year. But did not make it legal to have just took the felony part out of it.

You don't trust your parenting?

Comment

So you'd rather have your child go to jail for 20 years and get a huge fine if they get caught with their friends making some bad decisions, than have them make decisions for themselves and use the morals and values you've isntilled in them as a parent to stay away from the drugs?

Comment

No just make it less of an issue for other to have it. You can only talk to your kids so much. I don't care what you guys do I'd rather not see my son or daughter being around some kids that have funds to say bump mom and dad's money will get me out of trouble.

My opinion I don't like it and voted against it. We have significant more busts for controlled substances and now the local towns have upped the ante.
                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

No just make it less of an issue for other to have it. You can only talk to your kids so much. I don't care what you guys do I'd rather not see my son or daughter being around some kids that have funds to say bump mom and dad's money will get me out of trouble.

My opinion I don't like it and voted against it. We have significant more busts for controlled substances and now the local towns have upped the ante.
                  I can't figure out what you're trying to say.

Make less of an issue for others to have it? That's what decriminalization does. It keeps punishment harsh on people that deal large amounts and doesn't punish the day to day recreational user.

Beyond that, Weed never hurt anyone.

The fact is, whether you talk to your kids or not, and whether it comes with jailtime or not, your kid is probably going to try drugs at some point in his life, and if he enjoys them, will probably keep doing them.

It's how this country works. We banned alcohol, people did it anyway. Ban guns, people do it anyway. Ban certain crimes, people do them anyway.

If you decriminalize drugs and make it a government controlled industry (like firearms, tobacco, and alcohol) most of the violent crime related to the posession/transaction of those items dissappears.

You're not going to have nearly as much drug trafficking slaughtering or gang related wars over drug control if it's legal for people to walk to the store and buy it of their own will.

I don't think things like heroin and cocaine are necessarily GOOD things for society to have access to, but I know that by keeping cannabis and weed illegal, we are majorly hurting our economy and our potential. Cannabis was America's first cash crop remember :) and it's far far far more useful than cotton ;)
                  Last edited by Kruzen; 08-21-2009, 03:44 PM.

Comment

^ He hit the nail on the head.

My only caveat to your post is the level of government control. I'm all for minors not being able to use or purchase drugs (though they will do it anyway), but I do think people should be able to grow marijuana, tax free, for personal use.

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzen View Post
                      I can't figure out what you're trying to say.

Make less of an issue for others to have it? That's what decriminalization does. It keeps punishment harsh on people that deal large amounts and doesn't punish the day to day recreational user.

Beyond that, Weed never hurt anyone.

The fact is, whether you talk to your kids or not, and whether it comes with jailtime or not, your kid is probably going to try drugs at some point in his life, and if he enjoys them, will probably keep doing them.

It's how this country works. We banned alcohol, people did it anyway. Ban guns, people do it anyway. Ban certain crimes, people do them anyway.

If you decriminalize drugs and make it a government controlled industry (like firearms, tobacco, and alcohol) most of the violent crime related to the posession/transaction of those items dissappears.

You're not going to have nearly as much drug trafficking slaughtering or gang related wars over drug control if it's legal for people to walk to the store and buy it of their own will.

I don't think things like heroin and cocaine are necessarily GOOD things for society to have access to, but I know that by keeping cannabis and weed illegal, we are majorly hurting our economy and our potential. Cannabis was America's first cash crop remember :) and it's far far far more useful than cotton ;)
                      This

Comment

Working...
                      X