Convertible vs. Coupe for track/autox use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the rear end has a mind of its own.
    But then, any E30 is like that when you compare it to an E36...

heh

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by GillesBigCowboy View Post
      verts are plenty fast... I dream of removing the folding top, putting in a cage and sort of a "bikini" top like they have on jeeps. Less weight and more safe.
      Good to hear man! I definitely wanna cage mine eventually.
      '93 E30 325ic - CURRENT | '99 E36 M3 - SOLD | '94 E34 530i - SOLD

"I hit the gasser, go faster, all you hear is dual exhaust flowmaster."

Comment

ok lets clear the air here about a few things: i'm sure lap times between coupes/sedans and verts are pretty damn similar. where they probably can't compare is the driving experience - for instance, the truck in my sig (97 ranger, 2wd, 5 speed 2.3L lima) is 100% stock, save for the wheels i put on there every now and then for towing (shockingly the low pros in the rear have a higher load rating than the tires in the front)

i can carry speeds roughly similar to what my e30 could on offramps. it also performs surprisingly well on backroads, as i've shocked friends in other cars following/leading me and terrified car people in the passenger seat.

granted, i have owned the thing for near six years now, but I can still make it perform like a sportier car. does this mean that it doesn't feel like piloting a 747 filled with bags of dicks while wanting to do a barrel roll? no. it pretty much feels exactly like that.

the point i'm trying to make is that while you can still fuck your girl with a flaccid dick (with some extra effort) it's gonna go much better with a stiffy

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
          ok lets clear the air here about a few things: i'm sure lap times between coupes/sedans and verts are pretty damn similar. where they probably can't compare is the driving experience - for instance, the truck in my sig (97 ranger, 2wd, 5 speed 2.3L lima) is 100% stock, save for the wheels i put on there every now and then for towing (shockingly the low pros in the rear have a higher load rating than the tires in the front)

i can carry speeds roughly similar to what my e30 could on offramps. it also performs surprisingly well on backroads, as i've shocked friends in other cars following/leading me and terrified car people in the passenger seat.

granted, i have owned the thing for near six years now, but I can still make it perform like a sportier car. does this mean that it doesn't feel like piloting a 747 filled with bags of dicks while wanting to do a barrel roll? no. it pretty much feels exactly like that.

the point i'm trying to make is that while you can still fuck your girl with a flaccid dick (with some extra effort) it's gonna go much better with a stiffy
          Hahahahahaha that was perfect.

Comment

I think most of the major points have been made here, but assuming you can do some sort of cage/roll bar that passes the broom test, you should be ok.

My friend and I built up his vert, and the best chassis mod that made an improvement to the chassis was the the x-brace. We got it from Race Skids, but it was a bitch to install! It got rid of a lot of the cowl shake and made the steering feel noticeably sharper.

The hardtop was kind of a joke personally. It looks cool and was a little quieter, but you can definitely feel the extra weight.

Don't forget that you can pull the ballast weight thing out of the battery tray in back, and relocate the battery to the likes of a coupe. Just taking out the weight and leaving the battery up front made the car a bit more tail happy, so do so at your own discretion.

--Joey

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
              I think most of the major points have been made here, but assuming you can do some sort of cage/roll bar that passes the broom test, you should be ok.

My friend and I built up his vert, and the best chassis mod that made an improvement to the chassis was the the x-brace. We got it from Race Skids, but it was a bitch to install! It got rid of a lot of the cowl shake and made the steering feel noticeably sharper.

The hardtop was kind of a joke personally. It looks cool and was a little quieter, but you can definitely feel the extra weight.

Don't forget that you can pull the ballast weight thing out of the battery tray in back, and relocate the battery to the likes of a coupe. Just taking out the weight and leaving the battery up front made the car a bit more tail happy, so do so at your own discretion.

--Joey
              What's the broom test? And it looks like somebody already relocated the battery to the front.

Comment

You can do it, I do it with my E93, and yes its less stiff and heavier, but still fun and I still have no problem passing coupes. Here is the issue though and the only reason why when I bought my E30 I wanted a coupe, most tracks dont allow verts unless roll cage like many have said, and even then some tracks will not. I say drive what you like and who cares, just know there are limitations at certain places.
                Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by MannyTranny View Post
                  What's the broom test? And it looks like somebody already relocated the battery to the front.
                  The broom test is where they lay a broom on the top of the roll bar and the top of the windshield. Your head with a helmet on needs to have clearance under the broomstick (in the event of a crash the roll bar/cage is doing its job by being over your head). The hardcore track guys probably have more to say about this.

The convertible came STOCK with the battery up front. You can relocate the battery to the rear should you choose to do so, and it makes some space up front in the engine bay. Hopefully this clears things up.

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
                    The broom test is where they lay a broom on the top of the roll bar and the top of the windshield. Your head with a helmet on needs to have clearance under the broomstick (in the event of a crash the roll bar/cage is doing its job by being over your head). The hardcore track guys probably have more to say about this.

The convertible came STOCK with the battery up front. You can relocate the battery to the rear should you choose to do so, and it makes some space up front in the engine bay. Hopefully this clears things up.
                    Ahhh thanks a lot for clarifying. My dumb ass

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                      Yes, you could be a bit faster with a non-vert (you'd also have to drive around with a roof all the time). But guys, verts are not wet noodles. People always like to say this because they read it on the interwebz, because they need to justify not wanting (having) a vert. I beat the ever-loving shit outta my vert and it does just fine. I keep up with several semi-track-prepped coupes at the dragon regularly. Keep your vert, track it occasionally, let everyone at the track be surprised at how well it does and how cool you look doing it.

If you do more track than DD-ing, get a coupe.
                      this is basically what I was gonna say. yes, the verts are heavier and not as rigid, but the difference isn't a deal breaker, as least for me. some mods, good tires, etc and you'll be just as quick as any coupe or sedan. the internet warriors like to repeat and exaggerate what they read and feel smart.

i'm currently in the middle of track prepping my 87 vert (which is and will remain my daily) and from gutting it I already feel muuuuch less roll. and I haven't even added a strut bar, x brace, cage etc. which are things you'd want to add to a non vert anyways. so I (or anyone doing this to a vert) wont be spending extra money to compensate for having a vert in any way.

are coupes and sedans stiffer and lighter? yes. but the barely noticeable difference isn't anywhere near enough to sacrifice being able to drive through SoCal weather with the top down.
                      Last edited by J.Rizo; 06-29-2015, 11:08 AM.
                      sigpic
                      @joshua.j.rizo

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
                      Just remember next time you hear "late night when you need my love" I'm gonna be sitting somewhere way more bitchin' than you, driving or not.

BUY MY BUGATTI WHEELS:
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=377693

WRITEUP TO MY RHD SWAP:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371904

Comment

Originally posted by J.Rizo View Post
                        this is basically what I was gonna say. yes, the verts are heavier and not as rigid, but the difference isn't a deal breaker, as least for me. some mods, good tires, etc and you'll be just as quick as any coupe or sedan. the internet warriors like to repeat and exaggerate what they read and feel smart.

i'm currently in the middle of track prepping my 87 vert (which is and will remain my daily) and from gutting it I already feel muuuuch less roll. and I haven't even added a strut bar, x brace, cage etc. which are things you'd want to add to a non vert anyways. so I (or anyone doing this to a vert) wont be spending extra money to compensate for having a vert in any way.

are coupes and sedans stiffer and lighter? yes. but the barely noticeable difference isn't anywhere near enough to sacrifice being able to drive through SoCal weather with the top down.
                        Well said, thanks man! I appreciate the input.

Comment

Working...
                        X