Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Group buy feeler: Euro Ellipsoids + HIDs + 3M film

Hey all,

I have contacted a few places about setting up a group by for Euro Ellips (depo's) with some 3M rock guard. and HID's; and thought I'd see who would be interested. Basically, the swap will be as plug-and-play as possible (though some wiring will be required, but I'll include some very detailed instructions for both sealed-beam and US ellipsoid cars).

What will most likely be the setup is this:

Depo Euro Ellips (with aiming screws...working with a much more reputable seller than who boned me) ;)
    3M protective film installed in the Ellips (having already done 8 lamps I've gotten very good at this)
    5300K or 6000K (most likely) HIDs
    Installation instructions.

I'm trying to shoot for the $600 mark, hopefully it will go down depending on the # of people who are interested. Post your interest!

Cheers

EDIT: A pic of what I'm trying to get together, in case you don't know:

My mountains are better than yours.

i'd probably be interested in just the film...would that be possible?

Comment

Originally posted by LikeCDoos
      i'd probably be interested in just the film...would that be possible?
      Buy the film from BavAuto.com or lamin-x.com
      Originally posted by Gruelius
      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

How much for just the HID's? Will they work in the US ellipsoid head lights?
        Jamie Webster
        '89 325is - sold :(
        '96 Miata - sold
        '01 M5 - sold
        '02 Civic Si

Comment

Originally posted by jweb
          How much for just the HID's? Will they work in the US ellipsoid head lights?
          Euro Ellips and US Ellips use different Bulbs.

Comment

That's what I thought, but I wasn't entirely sure. Do you know of any place to buy HID's for US ellipsoids?
            Jamie Webster
            '89 325is - sold :(
            '96 Miata - sold
            '01 M5 - sold
            '02 Civic Si

Comment

no, these parts are inseperable.

I will possibly look into an HID group later

Comment

That's what I thought, but I wasn't entirely sure. Do you know of any place to buy HID's for US ellipsoids?
                eBay
                suvlights.com

Comment

Man, if only they were smoked headlights. Still looks hot though.
                  -Brandon
                  '86 325es S50
                  '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                  '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                  '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                  S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Just buy a ballast and bulb from ebay and do a few modifications to the bulb to make it fit in US ellipsoids. It's been done a few times and e30's with HID's look real good.

Comment

Originally posted by Beej '86 325es
                      Man, if only they were smoked headlights. Still looks hot though.
                      I might be able to work that out :-D

I have a pair of smoked US ellipsoids (yes, US ellipsoids) that I will be putting up on eBay in a couple weeks.

Comment

Just buy a ballast and bulb from ebay and do a few modifications to the bulb to make it fit in US ellipsoids. It's been done a few times and e30's with HID's look real good.
                        Why go through the trouble of modifiying anything when you can just buy 9006 HID kits?

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
                          Why go through the trouble of modifiying anything when you can just buy 9006 HID kits?
                          I was under the impression that HID "kits" wern't legal, so i thought you had to peice parts together and do a bit of fabrication. I bet doing it yourself is alot cheaper as well...not sure though. Ballast and bulbs usually go for $200 on the bay, more or less.

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
                            I was under the impression that HID "kits" wern't legal, so i thought you had to peice parts together and do a bit of fabrication. I bet doing it yourself is alot cheaper as well...not sure though. Ballast and bulbs usually go for $200 on the bay, more or less.
                            Your impression is mistaken. All are less than legal. As far as doing it yourself, I think anyone who has done it will tell you (Eric, Nick) that the kit is the best way to go. The bulb doesnt fit completely inside the ellipsoid, you have a hell of a lot of wire splicing to do, and glare is a major factor as the bulb that holds the ignited Xe is in a different place than the W filament in a halogen bulb. What I'm trying to organize will ship as a single unit, HIDs pre-installed in the headlamps, 3M rock guard on aswell. All you'll have to do is remove your old headlights, stick these in, and follow the instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerphile
                              Your impression is mistaken. All are less than legal. As far as doing it yourself, I think anyone who has done it will tell you (Eric, Nick) that the kit is the best way to go. The bulb doesnt fit completely inside the ellipsoid, you have a hell of a lot of wire splicing to do, and glare is a major factor as the bulb that holds the ignited Xe is in a different place than the W filament in a halogen bulb. What I'm trying to organize will ship as a single unit, HIDs pre-installed in the headlamps, 3M rock guard on aswell. All you'll have to do is remove your old headlights, stick these in, and follow the instructions.
                              The ones i've seen there is no splicing. All you do is plug the stock plug you have now into the ballast then off the ballast come another cable that holds the HID bulb. You dremel down a few tabs and put the new HID bulb in. If you can get these for $600 that will be a great deal, HID's, smilies (although they are depo), and Rock Guards...great deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X