Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'91 318i power loss, misfiring cylinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'91 318i power loss, misfiring cylinder?

Hello everyone!

I have a 1991 318i. The other day on the way home from work the engine shot from mid-range temp to red in less than 1 min. I pulled over and saw steam. Popped the hood to discover my radiators plastic neck on the return line had broken off. I changed the radiator out and it was working well for about 24 hours.

Yesterday I drove to the store and it was running fine. The gas light came on as I pulled into the parking spot. When I got back into the car and started driving to the gas station I quickly noticed a change in the cars performance. From 0-2k RPM it behaves normally. When I went from 2-4k RPM I noticed a large loss of power and a faint shuddering feeling. Over 4k it drives normally. Now if I engage the clutch it works fine, also when going downhill. Its only when it’s under load and in that 2-4k RPM range when it starts acting strangely.

I let it sit for a few hours and took it around the block and it behaved normally again. A few hours later and it was acting up once again. So its intermittent.
    Today I drove the 10 miles to work. The first 5 miles went as normal. The problem kicked in about half way there. It went from being confined to the 2-4k RPM range to happening even during idle. It felt more like a misfiring cylinder… Then I took a hard turn and it all started acting normally again.. WTF?

No check engine light. No white smoke out the tail pipe, oil looks fine, and the new coolant is still nice and green with no oily shine.

I’m thinking it may be the fuel line or filters, but wouldn’t that cause the problem with or without the car being under load? I went ahead and ordered new vacuum hoses, new fuel filters, spark plugs, distributor rotor, distributor cap, and a new ignition wire set.

Any advice or help would be appreciated. I am stumped on this one.

1991 BMW 318i - Parts Gathering for MZ3 5Lug and M62 Swap
    1966 Triumph Spitfire MK2 - 95% Restored
    1976 Jeep CJ5 Renegade Levi's Edition - 40k OG Miles
    1991 GMC 2500 - Factory 454SS
    2008 Honda Pilot
    1957 MGA Coupe - Only the Body and Frame right now

My car was doing something similar when I first bought it. I replaced the plugs (NGK, DO NOT get Bosch Platinums, car hates them), air filter, fuel filter, and cleaned the throttle body. 3k miles and 2 months since, not a single issue.

Comment

You had a large coolant leak under the hood. There was coolant spread out all over the engine and most likely got into an electrical connection somewhere. 22 year old car, seals on the sensor plugs may have given up.

One at a time unplug every connection you can find and look for moisture, rust, or greasy crud in the connector or sensor. Clean it up, wd40, Qtips, canned air, whatever. Make sure the contacts are clean and dry. Use a little dielectric grease when you put things back together.

Don't manhandle the wiring to much, old wiring and insulation may be brittle.

M42, In 91? N0 disributor cap or rotor. CK for moisture at each coil, spark plug wire.

Comment

Working...
      X