So I just got laid off...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I just got laid off...

So yesterday my boss and I had lunch and discussed whatI feared was inevitable...my job getting laid off. I work in the bicycle industry as the warehouse manager for a smaller BMX company. The whole industry took a nosedive in the last year or so and have been worrying about my job for a bit.

Last monday I was running some errands with my boss and casually mentioned I was itching to possibly move out of state, across the country...somehwhere new at some point in the future. He pretty quickly asked if it would help if I were to opt to be laid off, if it would give me a solid nudge to do it. I said possibly and we talked a bit more, just tossing around ideas of where I was thinking about. I kept thinking about the way he brought up the lay off thing so I asked if we could grab lunch and talk about it. Basically as I feared, there is simply not enough work in any sort of consistency to justify the cost of keeping me around. He was actually realived I brought it up because he was trying to find an easy way to bring it up to me. We're a tight crew of close friends so while it is just business, there is no easy way to let people go you care about. I wasn't mad, I mean I basically saw this coming and the great thing about my job is even though he's my boss, he's also a very good friend of mine. He gave me an additional month of pay and is keeping me on insurance for the month aswell but the kicker was that after talking about wanting to move. He offered me a round trip plane ticket anywhere in the country I'd like to check out to move to. I'm seriously going to miss working for and with these guys but shit happens and sometimes the cards don't fall the way you expected them to but I've been given a nice opportunity here.

On top of this. My relationship isn't really doing much for me and I don't see it going anywhere substantial. It's become a one way street with me bending over backwards, paying for everything and doing everything with very little reciprocated and I'm about over it.

My friends group has become quite small as I have found myself simply wanting more from life than what the direction of my friend circle was taking me. Our local skatepark shut down this year and was my main outlet for fun and aggression and now I have almost no one to ride with that isn't a two hour drive away.

So R3V...talk me into or out moving far the fuck away from everything here. I like Columbus, it's a great city but I think I'm at a point where I have basically nothing to lose and everything to gain from trying out somewhere new. I have almost nothing keeping me here anymore aside from family. I'm thinking along the lines of Portland OR, norcal, Colorado. Somewhere very different than what I'm used to. I've never made such a drastic change in my life and I think it would be good for me.
    91 318is M50 swapped
    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Sweet blog bro.

Whatever you do, do it for yourself. Don't take a car message board advice as gospel and go where it feels right to you, if anywhere at all.

If you do take up the employer on the round trip airfare (that's pretty damn cool for them to do by the way) make sure you don't treat it as a vacation but treat it more as your day to day routine. Scope out neighborhoods, see whats available in places you can afford.

For example, don't go to Colorado, get stoned to the bejeebus, don't get anything done, and decide its the best place in the world. See what the commutes would be like, scope out the housing and neighborhood amentities, etc.
    Back to my roots

Comment

Everything happens for a reason. when i was 18 my parents split up and my mom moved to washington. so i figured i would go with her and see another place. and i fell in love with the northwest.

i would say get your ass to portland, its an amazing place to live. the bmx scene is huge, a few R3Vers are there.
      the rain isnt even that bad.
      i would trade rainy winters over the 200+ inches of snow we get. hopefully i find my way back there. but keep your head up. better things are coming.

i have no idea what i am doing with my life

Comment

Well that blows. At least things are cool with your job, sounds like they'd invite you back once the business picks back up again. Ever thought of going to Florida? Daytona is a pretty sweet place - stayed in Port Orange for a month.... maybe 6 years ago? Cost of living is pretty low, perfect motorcycle weather if that's your thing, ect.

Comment

Cliff notes

-Nick gets fired
          -Free round trip tickets to start a new life
          -A month of servant's pay
          -Girlfriend won't suck the D anymore
          -R3V to the rescue

Am I rite or did I miss something?
          @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

At least it seemed to have gone well.

You should definitely check out CO. We need more r3vers out there with E30's lol

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
            Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
              At least it seemed to have gone well.

You should definitely check out CO. We need more r3vers out there with E30's lol
              When I finish my ME degree, I am seriously contemplating Colorado, depending on the market for engineers and nurses(girlfriend)
              2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
              (Daily Driver)
              Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
              KW V2 Coilovers
              VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Australia is pretty sweet.
                Tim.

Comment

Could have gone badly for you, plane ticket to check out a new place to live and on top of that a month of pay/insurance.

I have been looking to move towards PA or NC myself, I am sick of upstate NY. All my friends moved away and the e30 group here is always too busy to do anything. NC has a really nice knit group. I would to make the trip there for Vintage*Hoping*.

Good luck, Nick and make sure to share your adventures here!
                  ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                  ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                  ~ '87 535
                  ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                  ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Well I got to say its sounds like your almost answering your own question.
                    Life has a way of pointing you in the right direction, and some times big changes are needed to mix things up and get you started on a new adventure.

About a year and a half ago I was in a very similar place. I had been cooking for a while and lost my job because the owner ran his catering business into the ground. I went from making $23/hour to nothing real fast, and was just tired of cooking and dealing with kitchen life and people snobby SF attitudes. Everything was going down hill fast and I knew I had to make a change. I had to sell my project car (m20 swapped 2002) which had been my dream for years. That sucked.
                    In the end I moved out of state, went back to school for a year, and am a much happier person and have a new life goal.

What I am trying to get at is this. Make a change man. If you have had any dreams or bucket list items do them. Life is short and your wasting it just being miserable. Maybe you even want to get out of the USA for a while. Maybe take an internship or other work/study situation out of the country. Do something new where you will learn and become a better more valuable person.
                    You sound like your a younger guy like me, and are going through what many people out age are going through. Dont be afraid to mix it up and make a change. Have fun man.
                    sigpic
                    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

There are a few programs or situations where you can get financial help or a full ride to go some where and work or learn. Find something you want to do and see if there are any programs that will support you.
                      My little brother just took a WWOOFing trip to Alaska and worked on some ones small farm. He didnt make any money, but they gave him a beautiful place to stay and free food.

Now working on a farm may not be your thing, but there are other cool programs out there. You could do something super fun.
                      sigpic
                      "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

It was all going well and i was excited for you until the "off" part.
                        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Dude, grew up in Lancaster, PA. Moved to Denver at the age of 20, moved to Portland last year with my wife and son at the age of 32. Planning on getting back to Denver in the next 16-18 months. That said, leave the place you grew up in, even if only for a year or two. If you're into bikes, both Portland and the Colorado front range are awesome. Do it.
                          sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

If I were you I'd move. I'm planning on doing the same in a few years time. I've got my eye on Denver, Salt Lake City, and Norcal. Any of those places you chose will be better than Ohio lol.

Comment

move to the dakotas and make some major bank in the oil industry then figure it out in a year!!

Comment

Working...
                              X