No announcement yet.

s52 Redemption, last ditch effort to fall back in love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well fellas its finally getting cold so I have some free time to work on this thing. I have gone overboard fixing many things other then just putting in a new engine. I ordered a big box of seals, gaskets, lubricants, and anything else I needed for resealing the s52.

I even bought the special crank wrench so I could redo the timing chains

I didnt really take any pictures sealing the engine, It took awhile and getting this thing timed just right was time consuming. Glad it was on a stand and not in the car. I put on new lower timing chain guides.

Starting cleaning up my shortened oil pan, was able to take it to work and use there fancy wash station.

My first one said please dont break on it lol

Now things start to get crazy, I get the engine all cleaned up. Take the zf to get it resealed and new detents put it. I start tearing into the battery tray to clean it all up. Also ordered all the hardware for the glovebox trim, battery cover trim, and the headlight cover trim.

Oh and my battery doesnt seem to be the correct size, the bracket is too short for it.

Next I find another problem with my car. Ignore the carpet, I will be redying it sometime this winter. The center console never fit. This perplexed me for some time, I thought I had the wrong console. So i picked up one from an airbag car. Still didn't fit. I pulled the hvac panel to replace all the dash lights and I found that the dash seemed to sag. I don't know how or what made it lean so far down but I found a clean crack free dash on craigslist. I immediately put 303 on it for a day or two.

New dash with a few coats of 303 on it.

Last but not least it finally fits! I don't know how it got so bad but the new dash seemed to do the trick. It wasn't too hard to get out but time consuming. I recommend pulling the A pillars and protecting the the top of the steering column. I scratched mine to hell.

That's all for today, should get the rest of the interior back together tomorrow evening.

Comment

Nice work! I had a feeling there was something going on with your dash...
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

How did you get the wiper motor out? From the picture it looks like you left the linkages in the car and just pulled the motor.
        '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
        '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Looking good man!
          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Looking good. Good pics and nice writeup.
            E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Love a clean alpine car
              1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
              COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
                How did you get the wiper motor out? From the picture it looks like you left the linkages in the car and just pulled the motor.
                You can unbolt the motor from the linkage. and remove it seperately. I truly have no idea how to get the linkage out with the hvac unit in.

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeTheSneak View Post
                  You can unbolt the motor from the linkage. and remove it seperately. I truly have no idea how to get the linkage out with the hvac unit in.

Thanks guys
                  Good to know! I pulled the entire linkage and motor assembly from a junkyard car. It required a lot of force and bending the cowl (not something I want to do on my car).

Nice build. Looking forward to updates.
                  '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                  '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeTheSneak View Post
                    I finally got a wild hair up my ass to get the old girl back on her feet.
                    Gotta love those wild hairs of motivation, stoked for more progress on this

Comment

Working...
                    X