Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Passenger axle leaking oil from oil pan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passenger axle leaking oil from oil pan?

I rebooted by passenger front axle a couple months ago. When I went to place the axle back into the diff through the oil pan I used a little oil on the splines to help it slide in place. Couple months later I have noticed clean, what I believe to be oil, creating a lil drip where the oil pan meets the axle. Any thoughts where this leak is from. Can it be from the front diff? Any help? thanks

Originally posted by kidneylover View Post
    I rebooted by passenger front axle a couple months ago. When I went to place the axle back into the diff through the oil pan I used a little oil on the splines to help it slide in place. Couple months later I have noticed clean, what I believe to be oil, creating a lil drip where the oil pan meets the axle. Any thoughts where this leak is from. Can it be from the front diff? Any help? thanks

Is it leaking out of this? There is an oring (#4) that can leak

Does the oil leaking smell like gear oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes that is exactly where it's leaking from. So it's the inside o ring leaking? Should I not drive the car. I will have to smell it but it feels like oil. Where would the oil come from? Thanks

Comment

How bad is the leak?

Depends how bad it is as to how much oil is left.

Comment

Originally posted by kidneylover View Post
          Yes that is exactly where it's leaking from. So it's the inside o ring leaking? Should I not drive the car. I will have to smell it but it feels like oil. Where would the oil come from? Thanks

That oring seals the tube that the passenger side axle shaft is in. The "tube" goes through the oil pan and holds some of the gear oil that the front diff uses. So that's what is leaking out.

It really depends on how bad the leak is. If it's a slow drip I wouldn't sweat it as long as you check your front diff oil.

Replacement of the oring is pretty simple..just take the pass side axle out and unbolt the housing pictured in the post above. Replace the oring and top up front diff oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Its a small leak. But I hate having my cars leak. Will replace soon as I get a chance then. Should I replace the other seals too would they be simple to take out? Putting that axle in is a pain lol Thanks do. Winter is coming lol

Comment

There's a second identical o-ring where the diff snout seals to the oil pan.

Comment

Is replacing the bearing and shaft seal inside the housing hard? Anyone ever do it?

Comment

There is no way for engine oil to leak through the drivetrain - FYI. Not unless the oil pan is damaged somehow.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                  X