Tools for the e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e30Matt
    Buy Craftsman. That way the furthest you have to go to get a replacement tool is your nearest Sears.
    Ditto that. I broke my breaker bar from there - getting a new one this weekend. That is the only thing I have broken from there.
    Current Cars
    2014 M235i
    2009 R56 Cooper S
    1998 M3
    1997 M3

Comment

i just bought a like 150 piece set of husky sockets and wrenches. Came with three sizes of socket wrenches and almost every size socket, except the really big ones, which i will never use anyways. They have good movement and are pretty tough i can get into tight spaces with them.

'05 Jetta TDI
      '87 325iS: Facelift, Hella Smoked Ellipsoids (RIP)
      '80 320i: 500lbs lighter, Rally/Drifter (SOLD!:( )
      '90 Jetta: Stock Daily Driver (SOLD)

Comment

1. Specialty fan clutch holder tool cost me <10$ cheapo 32mm (I think....check fan nut size) often 32mm doesn't come with standard set -only "big" wrench I have used......remove fan a breeze...will need for timing belt water pump etc.....

2. C-clamp ball joint press with adaptors etc (mine was cheapo <80$) can press ball joints with ease pretty much pays for itself if you do all 4 vs buying control arm....then you have the tool for whatever else......e.g. I will be using it for my subframe bushings.....need air impact though to run....

3. Set of long (one at least 12") 3/8 drive wobble extensions and 3/8 u-joints for ratchet....I get all all 6 exhaust manifold -down pipe bolts from under the car easy with this....you will be doing the center support bearing at some point on an e30.......take the whole exhaust off

4. Set of nut removers for stripped/rusted nuts (i.e. with the oppositely spiraled teeth inside)....awesome....set of 5 ~20$ on sale

5. Source of heat ....even a little oxy/map gas deal will the plumbing torch sized canisters....at the very least a plumbers torch with the swirly flame head for more heat...

6. I'd be lost without my compressed air....even for blowing the shit out of my hair after crawling from under the car

7. you'll fall in love with MIG welders once you get one .......

I only buy the cheap stuff that you will seldom use (ball joint press...made in China crap.....but I can't see the cast iron breaking) ...other wise mid quality ratchets and wrenches with a lifetime guarantee are best ...my friend swears by Snap-on but $200 for a set of wrenches??? I don't think so ... in Canada Canadian Tire stuff has been great......Craftsman or Husky something should be perfect

Have fun

Comment

Originally posted by Zeoffry
          5. Source of heat ....even a little oxy/map gas deal will the plumbing torch sized canisters....at the very least a plumbers torch with the swirly flame head for more heat...
          oh yeah, I completely forgot about that one. I've used my el-cheapo propane torch more times than I can count, it's definetly a big help!
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
            oh yeah, I completely forgot about that one. I've used my el-cheapo propane torch more times than I can count, it's definetly a big help!

and dont use a torch on any fuel lines etc it could be hazardous to your health

Comment

How about tools for brakes?
              Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
                How about tools for brakes?
                5 year old thread.....................

What specifically for brakes? Pad/rotor change?

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

I like flex head ratchets alot. also stubby wrenches, ratcheting preferably, make certain tasks so much easier than w/o them.
                  Absolutly get a set of prybars, craftsman 3pc set is like 30 bucks and they come in real handy.
                  Cant remember the size but get a big wrench for the fan clutch, think its a 28mm, check first. 3/8" Impact screwdrivers are great for rusty screws, rotor hold down allen screws in particular. the list goes on. and on. and on. I could spend a hundred grand on tools if i bought all the stuff i want
                  "In God we trust. All others must bring data." -W. E. Deming

/// 1987 325is /// Project Thread
                  Past: 87 is, 88ix, 88 i, 87 ic, 89 ix, 17 others.

Comment

Working...
                  X