Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowering my 85. Spring perches?

Hey guys,

I just currently purchased a 1985 318i 4 dr with a 2.5L swap from an 87 and love the car. When I bought it, it was sitting low and had a nice stance but come to find out that the previous owner had cut the rear coils significantly to get the ride height he wanted and it was pretty sketch and also didn’t ride the best. I bought H&r 40mm drop rear coils and so it rides better but was raised around 2 inches and am wanting it to be lowered back to what it was but without having to cut. I was looking at coil over and saw “spring perches.” I was wondering if you could use could just buy spring perches without having to buy the entire coil over set and lower the car that way? If so, what would be the best spring perches to buy?
    Last edited by 85325i; 07-02-2018, 08:19 AM.

Adjustable spring perches are certainly adjustable, but they cant lower the car lower than the spring itself and they usually only work with the springs made for them.

The coil at the top and bottom of the spring is a different diameter to grab either the bump stop nub/pad or the bushing for the adjustable thingy.

It seems even the lowest h&r springs or ground control only lower the car 1.5" -2" or so from stock.

These raceland say 1-3". https://raceland.com/bmw-coilovers/e...coilovers.html

You can try to remove spring pads or get shorter spring pads, but even that is only going to be around ~10mm change or so max. If you had the car jacked up a while it will also take it a while to 'settle' to its final ride height.

I would first check to see if you have double pads or something under the rear springs, then put some heavy tools in the trunk and let it sit overnight and see if it is better in the morning. You should be low enough to maybe need fender rolling already.

If that is not enough you might need the raceland 3" or some other short spring situation.

Comment

Working...
    X