Fuel leak above starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel leak above starter

Hi all, new member with a quick question. 1992 318ic with M42 (~120,000 mi). Was running fine since doing "mess under intake delete", but lately has started to leak fuel from one of the lines just above the starter (see image below). My questions are:

1. Is this the fuel supply or fuel return line?
    • If it's return, would that mean a potentially clogged return line in the fuel tank? The tank was supposedly replaced recently.
    • If it's supply, would that mean my replacement Walbro fuel pump could be the culprit?

2. I'm guessing there's a chance it's just the clamp/hose, so I'll plan to replace those since that's easy enough.

3. Any other ideas?

And a picture of the old girl for good measure...

Thanks!
    Wyatt

I wouldnt *@#! around with a fuel leak. Its very likely to be weak hoses that fell apart from the mess under the intake mod, moving them around, etc. Take the intake off and just redo all of the hoses that are on the fuel lines. You want FUEL GRADE higher PSI/BAR hoses. Not any ol vacuum line. Be very certain. If youre going to take the time to replace a hose, you may as well replace them all. No point in discerning exactly where the leak is from.

The fuel rail has 2 short hoses that attach to those steel lines you depicted to the fuel rail. Then there are longer hoses as you have shown that go to the fuel lines to the vehicle.

It doesnt really matter which is which since you should replace them all but the silver is the feed and black is return.

Comment

Also consider doing injector o-rings.

Remember that if these lines are the same age as the other lines under the car by the filter it's time to replace those too.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the feed hose is likely not high pressure style hose. Additionally, buy yourself another clamp end (missing at the stud between the lines) that retains the fuel hoses below the rail.

Comment

Probably just old bad hoses. I would replace with the J30R9 fuel injector hose (that's one of the requirements for going on track near me) Also I would replace those clamps with fuel line clamps. They are smooth unlike the worm style hose clamps which damages the hose slightly.
        -Dee
        5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
        IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
          Also consider doing injector o-rings.

Remember that if these lines are the same age as the other lines under the car by the filter it's time to replace those too.
          Agreed and good point. It will be right there. May even be time to consider of the upgraded bosche injectors? Of course its easy to go down this rabbit hole with the 'while the hood is open...' type mindset.

Originally posted by ccsdo5 View Post
          Also I would replace those clamps with fuel line clamps. They are smooth unlike the worm style hose clamps which damages the hose slightly.
          Good point. I used pinch/cinch rings which is the more appropriate option for these lines.

Comment

Don't forget the two short pieces hidden under the upper intake. The high pressure side was replaced under recall using those oddball clamps. The low pressure side is probably original and rotten.

Comment

Working...
            X