Question on 1986 325

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on 1986 325

So, have a local guy with an E30 for sale. It’s a 1986 325. No “e”, “Es”, “i”, etc.

He claims it is an “i” model but do any show on the trunk, is cloth interior. Is this not an eta motor even though not showing an “e” on the trunk? Trying to figure a value of a 78k one owner 5spd.

BMW Made base models in 86 - 88, all of which were ETA engines (except for 88 with the SuperETA)

Unless it was swapped, you have a basic M20B27 in there. The Intake Manifold, Coldstart Valve, and 5K Tach will also give it away.

Comment

Am I correct in thinking the standards were just badged 325?

Comment

Originally posted by Lizard 1 View Post
        Standard as in Stick?

My 86 325 (no letter) had a ZF Auto in it.

Comment

Sorry. Standard as in base model.

The redline starts at 4500. He is still saying it is an “i”.

Comment

Yes it's a base model. The fact it's an 86 means it must be an ETA since the 325i didn't come out until 87.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

This isn't some euro car, right?

Wiki show "i"s starting in 1985. I have a seen a few 1986 convertibles for sale. I always assumed they came with "i" engines but could have well been typos in the ad.

Regardless, this is an eta cluster:

This is an "I" cluster:

I am pretty sure that's just a regular eta especially if the seller says its a U.S. production car with no engine swap.

Sounds like a nice car being sold by an uniformed seller.

Javier
              Last edited by Javier h; 07-18-2018, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
                Regardless, this is an eta cluster:

This is an "I" cluster:
                OP, thats a euro early eta cluster and a US late i cluster.

Javier's point is that the eta cluster rev's to 4.5k and the i cluster revs to 6.2k

If it's a US stock 1986 325, it is an eta. So unless the seller did a bunch of stuff to it, it's an eta.
                sigpic
                1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

OP, I switched the correct eta US production cluster in my image.

Javier
                  Last edited by Javier h; 07-18-2018, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
                    OP, I switched the correct eta US production cluster in my image.

Javier
                    Still 1 VDO and 1 MotoMeter
                    sigpic
                    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by Lizard 1 View Post

My 86' eta is badged "325".
                      86 325e sedan
                      • Magnaflow Cat-back
                      • SSSquid Stage 1 Chip

Comment

Remember the cars are 30+ yrs old. Could have a tractor engine in for all you know.

Comment

Some lowlife trying to pass off his eta as an "i" to some ignorant buyer. I see it all the time on craigslist.

The Build:
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Snap a pic of the vin number, then you’ll know that it’s an eta and you can prove it to the seller.

If it’s truly a 1 owner car then the guy telling you it’s an i is being dishonest, or he’s not the owner.

If the car is in good shape it’s worth a decent amount. There are garage kept lightly driven cars out there.
                            My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                            I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

If it red lines at 4500 it's definitely an eta. My car is a 1987 325 too and it also has eta motor even though it doesn't have the "e" on the back. I believe you can also check if it's an eta by looking in the door jam. I could be wrong, but I believe the door jam sticker should say the engine model or information. Also I don't know if all cars had this, but my car also had a sticker in the engine bay saying it had eta engine model which came in 325, 325e, and 325es. Additionally if the car has the original motor and is a true 1986 car then it has eta motor (unless it's a vert). All 1986 and earlier models came with the eta engine except for convertibles; only some 1987 models came with i engine, but it's pretty uncommon.

I could be wrong on some of this information, but I'm pretty sure it's all factual. You might want to check the VIN just in case too, he could have swapped an 'I' motor into it.

Comment

Working...
                              X