Koni NA - Big Thumbs Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Koni NA - Big Thumbs Up!

I had a leaky rear Koni SA shock with my Ground Control setup, so I called Koni NA to send both rears to be revalved for my spring rate.

Great experience! Repaired the leaky shock, revalved for 1000lb springs and repainted the bodies - they look brand new. All in a 2-week turn-around time. $234 for the whole deal.

holy smokes, 1000lb/in sounds rather masochistic!

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

That's about right for a serious track car.

Comment

^^^

maybe if you dont have a rear sway bar, but those rates are way high for an E30.
        Just a little project im working on
        - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

Hey Mike, sounds like a happy deal. Since that was a "revalve", did you ask about a full rebuild?

Sure is nice to hear of a company that takes care of its customers AFTER the sale!

Luke

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

This is good to hear as I have a set of E36 front inserts and two pairs of E30 rears that I need to have rebuilt as they are leaking .

Sure I knew they offered rebuilding but I wasn't aware of the costs and I did'nt want to have to send them back through GC, so I was actually considering in buying new ones eventually .

Mike , how old were they when you sent them back and were the original purchase records needed ?

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

I just run stock E30M3 sways, that can be disconnected depending on the track. I am a proponant of less bar and more spring to help with lifting the inside rear tire.

I don't think 1000lbs is too high as my lap times indicate the opposite. Heck, the Grp. N factory dry setup is 1142lbs front and 1368 rear and I've also seen an 800/1143 Grp. N setup as well.

Fred - Keep in mind that shock valving has a HUGE effect on ride quality and harshness, much more so than spring rates.

Teaguer - These were installed on the car when I purchased it last February, and I had no original documentation for the shocks. I think they may have been 2-3 years old. I don't think you will have any issue with what you have to be rebuilt. My contact was:

Paul McLaughlin
              Koni Shock Absorbers
              ITT Corporation
              Racing Technical Sales Rep.
              1961A International Way
              Hebron, Ky. 41048
              800-922-2616x324

Stereo - The shocks were fully rebuilt (along with the revalve) as one was leaking oil like a sieve.
              Last edited by Mike B.; 12-18-2007, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info , that will definitely come in handy .
                Now I just need to figure out what spring rates I want to run . :???:

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

I stickied this thread so I people who want to have their konis revalved/rebuilt don't have to dig for the contact info.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Mike B. View Post
                    Fred - Keep in mind that shock valving has a HUGE effect on ride quality and harshness, much more so than spring rates.
                    Cool. I am going to run J-stock suspension, and the damping and spring rates are pretty high, though the springs are progressive.

Originally posted by whysimon
                    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

I discovered today that I have the exact same problem. One of the rears is leaking badly and I am not the original owner. I called Performance Shock Inc. and he is going to check with Koni and see if they can cross reference the shock. Koni's from GC have their own part number and are specific to GC. God knows I dont want to have to deal with GC if I dont have to. I'll update this post when I get an answer along with PSI's contact info.

Good times...
                      Originally posted by Simon S
                      When a dream is a dream for too long - it becomes a fantasy..

Comment

Well, I ended up just buying new from GC. Word to those of you that are interested in getting your Koni's rebuilt from Koni, the warranty is only 6 months.
                        Originally posted by Simon S
                        When a dream is a dream for too long - it becomes a fantasy..

Comment

why is this a sticky?

congrats OP

Comment

Bilstein will also rebuild and revalve any shock to any spec. I think rebuild is $60 per and respec is a few more $$ since all they do is change valve body during the rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
                              why is this a sticky?

congrats OP
                              do you ever post anything worthwhile?

it's a sticky because there is contact information that you could use to get your shocks rebuilt.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X