No announcement yet.

Help: M technic suspension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a theory behind what has been happening since this came up before. People noticed that M3 front springs now have the same PN as 85 318i/325e springs and conclude that they have always been identical springs. This isn't true. All of those springs are different from each other. If you put M3 springs on those cars it'll lower them by about an inch. If you put 325 springs on a 318, it'll raise the 318 so high it'll look lifted, etc. What I believe is happening, is that BMW has consolidated the various springs into a single part (probably the M3 spring). So if you want to buy new springs for your 318i for some reason, you will probably get the M3 spring. I've noticed this with other BMW parts as well. If there is more than 1 version, they will supercede/consolidate them all down to one version. Then you get the part and are surprised to see that it is different but works. Examples are S14 throttle body gaskets and accelerator cables, etc. So it's not that RealOEM is wrong, it's just that BMW superceded/consolidated a lot of parts. I can't imagine them getting a lot of orders for BMW M technic rear shocks for an almost 30 year old car for $200 each when you can get the equivalent Boge Turbo Gas (or whatever they call it these days) shock for $58 each.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I was under the assumption that boge/sachs were made by the same company.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
      DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Reel - that could very well be the case. However, in other places BMW will simply discontinue the part, so I guess they maybe simply be inconsistent on how they deal with this stuff.

Have you found a suitable replacement strut/shock for an m-tech that has similar properties to the original?
        The Definitive 1991 M-Technic Thread - a work in progress

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
          I have a theory behind what has been happening since this came up before. People noticed that M3 front springs now have the same PN as 85 318i/325e springs and conclude that they have always been identical springs. This isn't true. All of those springs are different from each other. If you put M3 springs on those cars it'll lower them by about an inch. If you put 325 springs on a 318, it'll raise the 318 so high it'll look lifted, etc. What I believe is happening, is that BMW has consolidated the various springs into a single part (probably the M3 spring). So if you want to buy new springs for your 318i for some reason, you will probably get the M3 spring. I've noticed this with other BMW parts as well. If there is more than 1 version, they will supercede/consolidate them all down to one version. Then you get the part and are surprised to see that it is different but works. Examples are S14 throttle body gaskets and accelerator cables, etc. So it's not that RealOEM is wrong, it's just that BMW superceded/consolidated a lot of parts. I can't imagine them getting a lot of orders for BMW M technic rear shocks for an almost 30 year old car for $200 each when you can get the equivalent Boge Turbo Gas (or whatever they call it these days) shock for $58 each.
          This ties in with my discovery that M3 Cabrio springs (euro only) are the same PN as a 318iC. I assume this is due to the similar weight of the 4 cyl engines.

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
          I was under the assumption that boge/sachs were made by the same company.
          Boge & Sachs are both ZF subsidiaries...as is Lemfoerder
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

what is the drama?

isnt the only difference with the m-tech shocks the internal valves and rebounding ect due the difference in spring rates and requirement for a sportier ride?

the length and diameter is the same as non m-tech shocks from what i can find? so buying a koni sport or bilstien hd or sport should be just as good or better then a factory m-tech shock? not to mention they are cheeper and servicable.

Comment

Originally posted by e30leigh View Post
              the length and diameter is the same as non m-tech shocks from what i can find? so buying a koni sport or bilstien hd or sport should be just as good or better then a factory m-tech shock? not to mention they are cheeper and servicable.
              I'm trying confirm that the length/travel is the same. Where did you find this information?
              The Definitive 1991 M-Technic Thread - a work in progress

Comment

I'm sure the length/travel is the same. The m tech suspension wasn't dramatically lower than stock. The shocks were gas charged though.
                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

i cant remember where ive seen what. i just remember looking through all the specs when i was shopping for shocks. i basically came the the result m tech was different internally. not size wise in anyway.

as both bilstien and koni list the vert/ m3 shocks as the same as m tech for sedan and coupe versions. it basically came down to a valve and rebound difference i think.

Comment

Originally posted by e30leigh View Post
                    i cant remember where ive seen what. i just remember looking through all the specs when i was shopping for shocks. i basically came the the result m tech was different internally. not size wise in anyway.

as both bilstien and koni list the vert/ m3 shocks as the same as m tech for sedan and coupe versions. it basically came down to a valve and rebound difference i think.
                    Bilstein usually valves their dampers for 4cyl cars differently than for 6's but if the PN's are the same then the internals will be. You can get the damping rates from:

Wes Welch
                    Technical Product Information Coordinator
                    Wes.Welch@thyssenkrupp.com
                    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                    Alice the Time Capsule
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Lets bump this up. When I search part numbers for replacement MT2 dampers, I get Bilstien, Sachs, and BMW as OEM for the front and Sachs for OEM rear. The prices are all over the place.

Has anyone confirmed what manufacturer originally made these for BMW to put in these cars? Mine are likely original (89k miles) and they are black unlike the yellow ones pictured earlier in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X