Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interested in a Magnaflow M42 cat-back exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interested in a Magnaflow M42 cat-back exhaust?

Hey guys,

I noticed that Magnaflow has a part number for an M42 cat-back exhaust. But no information on it and no photos.

I reached out to my supplier to see if we can do a group buy of a limited run and waiting to hear back.

How many of you would be interested? I sell a lot of their M20 16535 kits and I am sure this would be as high quality.

Price will probably be somewhere around $500, but I am waiting to hear back.

Let me know what you think!
    My Seller/Buyer Feedback

Performance Aftermarket Parts & Accessories

Posting to stay tuned, would love to see pics! Also reviews and/or sound clips would definitely get my attention.
    The fun never ends :-?

89 318iS
    R.I.P 89 325i coupe
    89 335iC

Comment

The quality would surely be fine, but the sound is the determining factor. Someone, somewhere must have one installed.

Comment

I made some progress today on this.

Magnaflow made a prototype years back, but never put it into production due to low demand.

They are willing to make a batch of 25 for us so it will be a decent size group buy. Below is the prototype

This was hand made so its not as pretty as the production would be which is welded by robots.

I am also thinking to pair it with optional mid section that they have. So it would be a headers back combo.

What do you guys think?
        My Seller/Buyer Feedback

Comment

Whatever you do the M42 seems to sound whimpy without a resonator.

I don't know about others, but I prefer a smaller exhaust tip as well, preferably back cut. Any idea what options are available there?

If you haven't already be sure to ask on M42Club as well since I doubt we can get 25 just from r3v.

Comment

it needs a resonator or else you get that raspy vtec sound

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
            Ig:ryno_pzk
            I like the tuna here.
            Originally posted by lambo
            Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

I’ve been looking for something with dual cutback tips, but even a single would be cool. Have we got an idea as to what we're looking at sound wise? As silly as this may sound I’d prefer something that’s fairly quiet, the whimpy OEM muffler sound and look are killing me.
              -Thomas
              08 NHBP Acura TL Type S DD

91 AW 318i new to me as of 1/25/2016
              Bone Stock

01 LSB M3
              Engine:BMC Filter, Samco Arm, SP Engineering Air Scoop
              Suspension: Status Gruppe SRS Coilovers Kit 7kg/8kg, AKG 85A FCAB & 90A RTAB, Rogue Front Strut Tower Reinforcement, Rogue Rear Spring Perch Reinforcement, Turner Rear Shock Tower Reinforcement
              Brakes:Cool Carbon Pads, StopTech Lines
              Exterior:Bosch OEM Amber Corners, Depo Smoked Turn Signals, Matte Grills and Kidneys

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                Whatever you do the M42 seems to sound whimpy without a resonator.

I don't know about others, but I prefer a smaller exhaust tip as well, preferably back cut. Any idea what options are available there?

If you haven't already be sure to ask on M42Club as well since I doubt we can get 25 just from r3v.
                I'll ask if we can change the tip, but it will be same for every one... We can't do custom tips on the batch.

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
                it needs a resonator or else you get that raspy vtec sound
                Where would you recommend placing it?

Originally posted by Taco Sauce View Post
                I’ve been looking for something with dual cutback tips, but even a single would be cool. Have we got an idea as to what we're looking at sound wise? As silly as this may sound I’d prefer something that’s fairly quiet, the whimpy OEM muffler sound and look are killing me.
                -Thomas
                You cannot fit dual tips in a 318 valance. I'll find out if there is a sound clip available.

Thnaks for the feedback guys!
                My Seller/Buyer Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by MrSlacker View Post
                  I'll ask if we can change the tip, but it will be same for every one... We can't do custom tips on the batch.

I had a Supersprint cat-back and that large tip looked terrible on a 318i rear opening. So awful in fact, that I took it off and reinstalled a rear section. After all, if someone wants the look of a larger exhaust tip there are loads of goofy aftermarket solutions.

The resonator would naturally have to sit in the straight section between the two ~45 degree bends as it becomes less effective nearer the cat or muffler IIRC.

Thanks for thinking of the oft forsaken M42 owners!

Comment

Anything further on the exhausts? I'm excited to hear a clip and see what the options might be.

Comment

Anything further on the exhausts? I'm excited to hear a clip and see what the options might be.
                      They are looking for it. Prototype was made years ago so they are going through archives to find it.
                      My Seller/Buyer Feedback

Comment

Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.
                          I laughed pretty hard
                          -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                          08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                          318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                          '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                          Originally posted by roguetoaster

Comment

I got a magnaflow muffler on my car with dual tips. You can definitely fit two tips without any modding.

Comment

Originally posted by MrSlacker View Post
                              Add one in right before the subframe, just like the OEM exhaust. Should sound really nice!

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                              Ig:ryno_pzk
                              I like the tuna here.
                              Originally posted by lambo
                              Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Working...
                              X