No announcement yet.

DIY-Independent Fogs with highs as well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heres the updated pics. its an easy mod if you can figure out how to solder. the hard part was figuring out how to do it. this lets you put the foglights on whenever the parking lights are on which means they can be on with the high beam or with just the parking lights. they also stay on with the key off if you left your headlights on. the car was a 1990 i dunno if other years are the same

Originally posted by Spinning Tires View Post
    take out the one relay and take out the three screws

then break the connection on the circuit board with a screw driver or a utility knife. solder a wire to the spot right next to the break you just made. in my case i used a grey wire. this connection is located directly opposite the side where the relay was removed to get the screw out in step one

Last, connect it to the parking light wire which runs through the inside of the fuse box. you can use a test light for this or just see what color wire is going into your parking light.

First: 1984 318i
    Second: 1987 325
    Third: 1987 325is
    Current: 1990 325i (Soon To Be 335i)

Comment

It might be a good write up but the pictures are terrible. Where do you break the circuit board and where do you solder the wire, i'm sure there are more people who don't understand this write up by looking at the pictures.

Comment

alright i'll get you a better pic. all you had to do was ask

Comment

It goes to the back of the 85 terminal on the fog light relay. You better be able to figure it out from here cause I just broke the wire off while trying to get a better picture
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Spinning Tires; 03-24-2009, 03:02 PM.

Comment

i have an early 88

where your gray wire is soldered in... I have a yellow wire looping around?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

well i've done this to my 90 my cousins 91 and my friends 87 so i dont know what to tell ya.
              I'm gonna re do this right up when i get things sorted out. I'm more concerned with getting it running right now

Comment

Ok so I tried the ind fogs using the first method in the tread (jumping the relay)but when I'm testing it before sodering my lows go on and even with switch off and no key they stayed on. I put a wire directly into the prongs on the board and I tried tying the wire directly betwen the 30 and 87 with the same result. Low stay constant on! What am I missing or what am I doing wrong? Btw it's a 89 vert if that helps
                Last edited by louniex; 05-14-2009, 07:59 AM. Reason: Left information out

Comment

well i tried to do this. But... i used the wrong kind of solder or something... and poof. smoke coming from the fuse box and the kick panel. i started it and drove that bad ass away... after putting snow on the flames... i think i did something wrong.
                  did anyone have this flammable problem?
                  sigpic

Comment

lol^ see this whole thread just pissed me off as I've read every post and still nothing.

Your best bet is to run a fused line from the ignition wire to the foglight switch so when turned on triggers a relay that triggers a - to the fogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
                      lol^ see this whole thread just pissed me off as I've read every post and still nothing.

Your best bet is to run a fused line from the ignition wire to the foglight switch so when turned on triggers a relay that triggers a - to the fogs.
                      I'm working on this for my buddies '08 wrx. We are using the DRL signal wire (essentially just a 12v ign) to a 30amp No relay. This seems to be the easiest, least evasive way.

Comment

Looking at the ETM for my car ('88 325), it appears that a wire between pin 87 on the low beam relay and pin 86 on the fog light relay will give the fog relay power at all times with the switch in either the parking light or on position. This is for late models anyway. Someone double check me on that.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Working...
                        X