No announcement yet.

Official Aviation Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boeing is formally protesting the tanker contract. Good.

Comment

Jizz man (PUN intended)!!! WTF? That is in fact quite f'd up but c'mon, sue the person not the airlines. I can see the fine print now, no liquids, no sharp objects, no masturbating during the flight...

1st class too crampy, 2nd class too costly? Fly 1.5 class!!!

Last edited by Maluco; 03-19-2008, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bjhcamaro View Post
        Anyone fly helicopters? working on my instrument rating and commercial rotarcraft license right now.
        Yep. I have a commercial instrument ticket... never used it though.

I started out wrenching on Hueys and then flew them for quite a number of years. Then switched to the Blackhawk. The Hawk is a fun beast to fly. Tons of power, very responsive but very complicated. The emergency procedures and systems checks were mind boggling. It took a lot of study time to get a handle on all that stuff. Not exactly like the old Huey was.

Helicopters are an absolute blast to fly. They are the ditch-diggers of the aviation world though (for the most part). All the dirty and extremely dangerous jobs go to helicopters. Crop dusting in an airplane is the only thing that comes close to the dangers of a lot of helicopter jobs. We did things routinely that were a bit nuts... I am not sure how I survived all of that.

If you want hours, get hired on by somebody around here during Christmas tree harvesting season. Tons of hours, all spent on the wrong side of the power curve. You'll get good working a long line though.

I had a couple of friends who flew for the Bonneville Power Administration. They just flew at 50 knots just off the side of those major power lines that go between states all day long. The observer would look for problems on the lines. Start in Portland and end the day in Boise and then move on from there. These guys had 10's of thousands of hours in Jet Rangers. Those types of cake job are few and far between though.

What's your plans? What type of work are you looking at doing?
        1987 E30 325is
        1999 E46 323i
        RIP 1994 E32 740iL
        oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Originally posted by h0lmes View Post
          This is pure ignorance right here. Boeing has nothing to do with the interiors of the airplanes, they are installed after delivery and customized to the specifications of the airline. Same thing goes for flight attendants, food, service, etc. Sucks that you had bad service on what happened to be Boeing airplanes but that has nothing to do with Boeing and everything to do with the airline you flew on. Also, do you think these sorts of things matter to the USAF? Get real man.

What I was talking about was the airplane itself. The airframe, engines, fuselage, wings, etc. are far better built and far more reliable than anything Airbus could build.
          Thank you for saving me alot of typing.

AWS Gorillas

-For those who help defend others against wheel-snobs and their associated douchebaggery.

Comment

American cancellations FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by Maluco View Post
              American cancellations FTW!

Dallas Fort Worth?

Comment

Originally posted by h0lmes View Post
                Dallas Fort Worth?
                Yes sir.. their latest terminal (International - Grand Hyatt)

Comment

360 of A380's cockpit...

gilles vidal - photographe panoramiste - panoramas et visites virtuelles - AIRBUS A380

Comment

Cool topic - unfortunately my exposure to the aviation field (aside from flying Southwest umpteen times) is of the scaled variety. A recent acquisition.....actually, a gift from a friend who has about 8 planes already. Fun hobby - just updated the battery to a LiPo unit. Next on the list is a brushless motor.

Jon
                    Rides...
                    1991 325i - sold :(
                    2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

I was just reading about some insane world championship of remote-control flight yesterday in a Popular Mechanics mag. Pretty insane. Check out this A-10....

Comment

Passenger jet makes terrifying 10,000ft climb to dodge another plane because pilot was 'showing off' to a child

A pilot showing off to a young boy in his cockpit ended up almost crashing the airliner, it was claimed yesterday. Passengers said the pilot deliberately rocked the jet from side to side as he showed the child how the controls worked

I remember back in the 80's when you could ask to go to the cockpit, a pilot of a 747 made a turn just to show me the horizon gyro move. The fact that he made a turn for me was way cooler than the gyro moving. Ahh, the good ole days. (I remember walking in and seeing the pilots with their legs kicked up on the panel and thinking, WTF!!!!)

Comment

I went to a air show today at Andrews AFB. (Close to Wasington D.C.)

Last edited by JasonC; 05-18-2008, 10:15 AM.

1992 BMW 325iC
                          1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                          1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Holy shit! that airshow looks like it had everything.

Comment

Air shows are always breathtaking! We had a group of bankers (possible investors in the company) come by work. We had a great representation of what we produce.
                              A C-5, C-130J and F-22. The C-5 is just amazing!!!
                              Randall Racing and Engineering
                              Acworth, Georgia, 30101
                              http://www.facebook.com/RandallRacingandEngineering

Comment

Originally posted by NavyE30 View Post
                                Eric, do you have any idea the sheer amount of design that goes into designing an aircraft this large?

Also, since when does the manufacturer have anything to do with the straightness of the attendants that serve on it?
                                yes i do. I've done B and C checks on brazilia's. even those small planes are quite complicated.

I was just giving a personal experience of the difference between boeing and airbus. I guess i should have clarified my comparison between Lufthansa, and every other shitty american airline company i've flown on.

Jason C - cool pictures man!
                                My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X