Official Aviation Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UA joins American... United to ground 737s, 747s to save fuel

At Yahoo Finance, you get free stock quotes, up-to-date news, portfolio management resources, international market data, social interaction and mortgage rates that help you manage your financial life.

June 4 (Bloomberg) -- UAL Corp.'s United Airlines, the world's second-largest carrier, will cut its fleet by about 70 planes and shut the low-fare Ted unit to counter record fuel expenses, a person familiar with the plan said.

Also:

British Airways is ready to ground flights in an attempt to deal with the soaring cost of oil, said Willie Walsh, the airline's CEO.

Walsh made clear that BA is prepared to follow the example of Qantas - and Ryanair who announced that they would ground 20 planes this winter today - and mothball aircraft if necessary. He said: ‘We will be looking at some routes to see if we can take out some frequency. We are in uncharted waters. I see no option but to take capacity out.'

BA has also decided to strip all paint off planes brought in for a refit, before respraying. According to an airline, this sheds 400 kilograms of the weight of a Boeing 747.

http://www.uk-airport-news.info/heathrow-airport-news-030608c.htm

Comment

B2 Stealth Bomber Crashes - VIDEO

Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
        awesome video! I think I'll go look up the details to the cause now...

Comment

Comment

Wonder how the pilots of the B2 were dealt with.
            Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
            Do you feel like something is trying to penetrate your butthole?

Comment

Originally posted by E-Thirty View Post
              Wonder how the pilots of the B2 were dealt with.
              It was the result of moisture clogging some sensors or something and not pilot error. I imagine that they were grounded till the end of the investigation and are flying again now that they have been cleared.

Comment

insane - http://youtube.com/watch?v=TYhrpA0tmBQ
                91 m3

Comment

Boeing's X-48B Blended Wing Body concept

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                    Boeing's X-48B Blended Wing Body concept

X-Box for me...? Nice!

I was fortunate enough to see the B2 (Northrop Grumman) do a few fly-by's last airshow in Ft. Worth. All I can say is insane! Pictures do NOT do justice!

Comment

I agree Maluco. Pictures can not show how awesome the B2 is until you see one in person. I saw one years ago at a airshow as well. Another similar plane that is purely awesome as well and more so if you get to see it in action is...

Rockwell B1b Lancer

Comment

Originally posted by atomic View Post
                        I agree Maluco. Pictures can not show how awesome the B2 is until you see one in person. I saw one years ago at a airshow as well. Another similar plane that is purely awesome as well and more so if you get to see it in action is...

Rockwell B1b Lancer

For sure! That last air show I attended was by far the best I have ever been too. I have never seen such an array of planes (in the air) as I did at that show. Although, I wish I could frequent the shows abroad which afford you the blessing of seeing passenger planes do fly-by's! I love planes altogether but for some reason, passenger planes are my passion.

I should have been more specific btw, B2 "Spirit", the stealth version basically, is the one I posted...

Comment

I have had the pleasure of a fly by of a very hot pass by the Lancer B1b before. Were I worked was at the end of the runway and the employees had gathered there for the show that weekend in the employee parking lot. When the Lancer came over head on a very very hot run, wings collapsed, and flames shooting out of its ass all happening at about 300-500 feet above our heads, as it then did a steep climb to leave the area. I about shit my pants when the sound came through after it had moved on by the area and left everyone in sure "AWE" of what had just happened. Truly an amazing sight and experience that day.

Comment

The B-2 is the most beautiful thing I have ever laid my eyes on. It makes me need to change my pants. It also happens to be the most expensive, most advanced and most powerful warplane ever produced.

Comment

It will be interesting to see what happens with the tanker contract. I am a designer on aft body 777 structures. Do you think British Airways or Singapore would buy 777's if they are shit, those are the most particular carriers out there. The interior is built exactly how the customer wants it, and if we don't have an option for what they want then we design it if they are willing to spend the money. Many American carriers want to squeeze as many seats into the plane as possible, this has nothing to do with what model it is. The plane was designed more than 15 years ago, of course it’s not going to have the most modern feel out there, give me a break.
                              1988SuperETA|Full I component swap|19lb injectors|Schrick 272|MSIIExtraBeta20071020|GM DIS Wasted Spark|LC-1

Comment

Originally posted by atomic View Post
                                I agree Maluco. Pictures can not show how awesome the B2 is until you see one in person. I saw one years ago at a airshow as well.
                                ^truth. The plane is amazing I use to go to every airshow around. And the B2 would never fly - but it dominated theplans parked on the tarmac.

Comment

Working...
                                X