3.23 607 Open Rear Differential?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.23 607 Open Rear Differential?

I have a 1983/84 BMW E30 Euro 323i with this rear differential. And yes it's an open diff, and yes it's a small casing. The numbers on the tag: 3.23 607. I know, I am switching over to an LSD and the bigger case, 188, but before I do that, I simple want more information on this diff. I read somewhere, I can't really remember when or where I read this information but I think it said something about this small case E30 diff is the stronger of the small case differentials... ---> ?. I can't recall! And yes, i've search the net and i know the the basics such as, 323i before 9/84 came with this diff., and then there's a lot of info on the Z3 M roadster rear differential which is totally different. But if anyone have any information on this differential, please let me know. Thanks!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mini612; 05-02-2019, 08:26 PM.

Wow. I thought that the lowest common small- case was the 3.46 in the ti/ manual 1.8 E36.
    (yes, the 2002 turbo had a 3.36, but they made 12 of those)

The E21 small case from 9-79 to late 1983 is unique in the US market in that it has 6 side case bolts
    and a bigger pinion nose bearing. And better spider gears.

It doesn't look like that's what you have, though- that looks like what's under a 4 cylinder E30 or E36 compact.
    It's pretty stout, and it's #30+ lighter (54 vs 88) so if it's healthy, it's worth keeping.

One thing to check on realoem.com- see if the front pinion bearing is common to the later E21, or if it's the smaller
    one that fits everything from the '68 2002 to the 98 318ti.

t
    Last edited by TobyB; 05-04-2019, 10:16 AM. Reason: can't count
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

TobyB, thanks for the info. I really don’t know the history of this car. I bought the car from CA in 2012, and transport the car back to MN. At that time it had what seems to be a 2.7l jetronic motor and not the euro 2.3 motor. So I swapped out the motor for an m30 motor w g268 tranny, completed near the end of 2012. I recently sold the m30 setup and currently building an m50nv turbo.

I hear everywhere that these small casing rear diff can’t stand higher power, and then I swear I read somewhere that a specific smaller casing diff can, I just can’t rememebr which one or was I hallucinating.

Comment

Originally posted by mini612 View Post
        TobyB, thanks for the info. I really don’t know the history of this car. I bought the car from CA in 2012, and transport the car back to MN. At that time it had what seems to be a 2.7l jetronic motor and not the euro 2.3 motor. So I swapped out the motor for an m30 motor w g268 tranny, completed near the end of 2012. I recently sold the m30 setup and currently building an m50nv turbo.

I hear everywhere that these small casing rear diff can’t stand higher power, and then I swear I read somewhere that a specific smaller casing diff can, I just can’t rememebr which one or was I hallucinating.

Bmw matches size of rear end to displacement / engine output.

This would be the smart way to think; bmw did put a 210mm rear with some m30b35’s ; they would have put in a 168mm if it was adequate size for gearing.

The measurement refers to the diameter of the ring gear which reflects the strength of the complete unit.
        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
          Bmw matches size of rear end to displacement / engine output.

This would be the smart way to think; bmw did put a 210mm rear with some m30b35’s ; they would have put in a 168mm if it was adequate size for gearing.

The measurement refers to the diameter of the ring gear which reflects the strength of the complete unit.
          Yes! Just wanted to hear a confirmation before I proceed. Thanks

Comment

Lordy, yes, for a turbo, I'd be shopping for a 188!

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
            X