E30 Radio won't accept CODE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Radio won't accept CODE

I am frustrated as for some reason my radio locked me out. After several days of beeps, I finally disconnected the battery in attempt to reset the radio.

Now I finally have CODE showing on the faceplate but when I type in the code nothing happens. Is it suppose to beep when the code is accepted.

So far, it seems frozen and CODE is still listed when I turn the radio on.

Help me please....
    Rick
    88 e30 325i
    92 e30 32iC

On mine, I get a single beep when the correct code is entered. The word CODE disappears afterward.

Comment

I had to disconnect mine for 24 hours before it would accept a code.
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

If the code is one you just got from BMW, it's likely not correct.

If it's a confirmed original radio code, than you have to leave the radio on and car on for 24 hours to "reset" - you've attempted to enter the code too many times at this point.
        Below the radar...

Comment

Like what was said above; the radio needs to be reset.
          Originally posted by wholepailofwater
          Q
          :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

You get three shots to enter the correct code. Then you have to wait 24 hrs for it to reset. I have sticky buttons so it always gets me. You don't need to leave it "on" but it has to have power to the memory circuit.
            Last edited by uturn; 08-07-2017, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Can anyone confirm that this is really 24 hrs to reset? I am entering a code, have probably tried 20 times at this point with two 1 hr with key in ON position reset attempts, and nothing happens at all. The radio just does not react, beep, anything. Just shows CODE.

EDIT: Wouldn't 24hr just drain my battery?
              Last edited by rfordo; 06-07-2019, 07:44 AM. Reason: edit

Comment

I've noticed that you have to enter it slowly sometimes. It doesn't take on mine if you press the code too fast.
                sigpic

Comment

Here is a real answer to the CODE problem. It comes from experience.

1) Open Hood
                  2) Disconnect Battery Cables
                  3) Touch the Positive and Negative Cables together. For at least 30-- 60 seconds.
                  4) Reconnect and then try the code
                  5) Should work now.

Why does this work?

The "Hey, Someone Stole Me" programming is stored in the car computer controls.
                  Touching the cables together removes the fault codes from the the main "computer"
                  or ECU. So now your car has a blank slate to work from. And you get three more try's or
                  magic wishes.

It was surprising to me how many different radios were available in the E30's. But
                  this should work for any of them.

"Now ...Go do... The Voodoo...That you do..So well!"

PS There are some New Model radios that can be installed easily. And look like the
                  original. Maybe $200.

Comment

I am going to try this, thanks! This was the exact information I was looking for. Mine started to give me trouble today. Lists code, no beeps or anything when I try to input the code which I know is the correct code. I will let you know how it goes.

Originally posted by intuitivejohn View Post
                    Here is a real answer to the CODE problem. It comes from experience.

1) Open Hood
                    2) Disconnect Battery Cables
                    3) Touch the Positive and Negative Cables together. For at least 30-- 60 seconds.
                    4) Reconnect and then try the code
                    5) Should work now.

Why does this work?

The "Hey, Someone Stole Me" programming is stored in the car computer controls.
                    Touching the cables together removes the fault codes from the the main "computer"
                    or ECU. So now your car has a blank slate to work from. And you get three more try's or
                    magic wishes.

It was surprising to me how many different radios were available in the E30's. But
                    this should work for any of them.

"Now ...Go do... The Voodoo...That you do..So well!"

PS There are some New Model radios that can be installed easily. And look like the
                    original. Maybe $200.

Comment

You don’t need 24 hours. You need to start with the radio off. Turn the ignition on, turn the radio on. WAIT ONE HOUR. Enter your code. If it’s the right code it should work.
                      See attached screenshot from the original documentation that came with the radio code cards.

I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Working...
                      X