Whats wrong with my e39?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats wrong with my e39?

When I'm braking for a stop light, it acts like it wants to cut off. When I turn the car off the park light in the console immediately turns off. Sometimes the key won't lock or unlock the car/start the car. This morning I started it, started to back up and the car turned itself off. The console is blinking kinda weird... I recently changed the Final stage relay for the A/C blower under the dash. But other then that haven't had any other problems... please help! I have video but b can't get it to load on here...[emoji19]

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

is all electrical power from the car lost? I know its a small thing to check but is the earth or power lead on the battery tight?
    Boris - 89 E30 325i
    84- E30 323i

Comment

Have you checked the charge on your battery? Could be the alternator being on it's way out...

Comment

Is the key turning in the tumbler at least? If not, I have to agree with bangn and check the terminals and see if the car is losing power altogether.

If the alternator was on the way out you'd lose power while driving, too. Since you seem to keep power while driving, the alternator is likely still providing a charge to your system

Comment

Update: I just checked the 3 earth leads under the hood and they seem tight. The alternator output and battery CCA is as it should be...

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Going to need more info

- Do the dash lights or any other lights dim/flash consistent with the shifter light
            - when the car shuts off is there power to anything else
            - where is the relay that you replaced located, is there a possibility you have knocked a another relay half out of the holder
            - may need to test input and outputs at the ignition tail/switch on the back of the barrel when the failures are happening to confirm its not a tail/switch issue.
            - whats the idle like. is it stalling or just cutting off
            Boris - 89 E30 325i
            84- E30 323i

Comment

Originally posted by bangn View Post
              Going to need more info

- Do the dash lights or any other lights dim/flash consistent with the shifter light
              - when the car shuts off is there power to anything else
              - where is the relay that you replaced located, is there a possibility you have knocked a another relay half out of the holder
              - may need to test input and outputs at the ignition tail/switch on the back of the barrel when the failures are happening to confirm its not a tail/switch issue.
              - whats the idle like. is it stalling or just cutting off
              So when the car shuts off there is 0 power to anything else... the weird part is, I let the car sit all day come back to and it fires right up and acts like nothing happend...but I took it for a test drive tonight and and as I'm driving everytime I hit the brake pedal all the dash lights flicker and the abs light and brake light flicker as well... what a nightmare. The relay I replaced is the final stage relay under the dash behind the ac controls. It's just a relay for the blower motor on the ac panel and there wasn't any other relays around it...

Comment

next time its running see if you can induce it to turn off by turning side to side aggressively, getting on the brakes and hard acceleration.. Just make sure nobody is around you because when the car turns off you wont have any brake assistance.

im thinking is a broken or loose earth somewhere

any aftermarket alarm system fitted?
                Boris - 89 E30 325i
                84- E30 323i

Comment

Have you checked the volts at the battery when the car is off? And when it is running? You should be seeing about 14 volts at the terminals when running. At least 13 volts at the battery when turned off.

Anything below that, and you will encounter lots of electrical weirdness. Ask me how I know.

Comment

Working...
                  X