Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impressed with my E30 at the track (video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- that mustache is absurd

- nice lap

- even if it's not required by the organizers, a helmet is a good idea

- go easy on your shifter, you were close to tearing it out of the car a few times

- red mist is not an uncommon condition to get on a track. you can only really figure out a way to deal with it while in it. we have a sticker on the steering wheel of our race car that says "SAVE THE CAR YOU FUCK" that helps.
    cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
      - that mustache is absurd

- nice lap

- even if it's not required by the organizers, a helmet is a good idea

- go easy on your shifter, you were close to tearing it out of the car a few times

- red mist is not an uncommon condition to get on a track. you can only really figure out a way to deal with it while in it. we have a sticker on the steering wheel of our race car that says "SAVE THE CAR YOU FUCK" that helps.
      Is red mist the common name for it? New one to me.

If I had to guess about the shifter effort, I would say it might be because two of the clips inside the knob are broken. So I have to press down or the knob comes off. I haven't thought about how to fix it (besides gluing the knob on). I wasn't aware it was noticeable. I guess if you can see it in the video I should fix it eh?

Afaik it's a wood knob from a (70s) 2002 or similar vintage, and I love it, so switching to something else isn't an option.

I think I was avoiding the helmet on purpose (without consciously realizing it) hoping it would keep me out of the red mist. Didn't work though. I even brought one with me on Wednesday but didn't wear it. I was certainly going fast enough to warrant it last time. I will be sure to wear it if I take the car to the track in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
        Is red mist the common name for it?
        yup!

if it's a 2002 knob it's spin-on and not clip-in, which is probably why it's not staying put. I think someone makes adapters..
        cars beep boop

Comment

Rather than give up track time entirely, you might consider doing some HPDEs with someone in the right seat. When I've done an HPDE with an instructor riding shotgun, I tended to focus more on balancing the car and the fast line, as opposed to going maximum attack like I did when I was by myself in the car on a "track day" or in A-Solo.

Having someone coach me around the track - telling me what I'm doing well and where I could improve in real time - has been far more valuable to me than trying to shave lap times on my own.
          Originally posted by kronus
          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Instructor's can be a sort of mixed bag, at least the one's that I had during that era. Although I respect (highly) their desire to jump into a strangers car and hurl themselves into the unknown, some are better than others regarding skill and even (gasp) their ability to know the "where to be and when" on the track.

I personally tended (and still do tend) to learn the most from ride-alongs....your paradigm of where to carry speed or when to jump on the brakes is often shaken when you ride along with someone with more track experience. I always asked to ride along with an instructor I respected and was usually treated to a awesome and enlightening ride.

Ed
            1988 E30/S50...now with S52; Track
            1994 Miata R; ES Solo2
            1998 Lexus LX470; Wife (Slee'd anyway)
            2002 BMW 530i; A+ Commuter
            2002 BMW 325iT; Sport/Premium 5-speed
            2011 21' EconoTrailer

Comment

Do you have power steering?

Comment

A small tip that can help with your oversteer on exit is to let the car track wider off the apex, slowly straighten the car back out while on throttle will allow it to unwind and keep the rear end where it's supposed to be.
                m106 1990 e30
                e36 daily
                e32 cruiser

Comment

At Buttonwillow I am never worried about oversteer, but at Laguna Seca I pstchologically keep very concerned about oversteer and never let the car do its work. I gotta get rid of that problem. More Laguna Seca I guess.

Comment

Great job dude

Comment

Working...
                    X