LSD clutch replacement w/ Porsche dogears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LSD clutch replacement w/ Porsche dogears

Hey guys I replaced the clutches on my worn out Limited slip and Im posting some pictures so you can see how easy it is just in case you want to do it. I got the idea from Yoshi on e30performance, he has a bunch of videos and the exact parts list for any of the parts you'll need. http://e30performance.info/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=939

I knew it was time for me to replace the clutches on my 3.91 LSD (yes it is a 3.91) since it was acting like an open diff last week at an autocross event. So I ordered ceramic clutches from bimmerworld and the thicker 2.1mm Porsche dogears(or clutch steals, whatever you want to call them)from pelican parts. They are easy to replace and some people are intimidated about taking apart their diffs so here ya go:

First thing to do is get that cover off and disconnect the halfshafts

then pull out the left and right drive flanges (they should pull out with minor tugging and prying(thats not what she said))

Then get the side covers off and make sure you keep the right and left ones in order so you can put it back together the same way you took it apart

you should then be able to pull the whole LSD unit out of the case

Then unbolt the 8 allen bolts that hold the cover on, you may have to pry gently to take this off too

Then you are able to access all your clutches, steels and other odds and ends you want to get to. Make sure you keep everything in the same order so you dont have to wonder if your putting it back together right

Here is the first clutch that is worn along with the stock dogear

keep pulling stuff out and inspect it for any kind of wear, I noticed little bits of clutch on some parts so make sure you clean them all up.

This clutch didnt even have the spines on it(that's why it felt like an open diff hehe)and I dont care that you noticed a hair on the clutch by the way

this is the bottom of the barrel, all thats left is a spacer, a pressure spring washer thing and two little spacers at the bottom

once you clean everything up you can put your new clutches and steels in, and stack everything back just like it came out

Once I put the cap back on I put lock tight on the 8 allen screws that hold it in, but Im not sure if its a necessity. Keep putting everything back together like it came out and when you get the caps all tightened put some lube on your ring gear and rotate it to make sure you kept all the same tolerances.

I would also spread some of your new gear oil on any parts that look unlubed. Since I didnt replace any bearings or change anything else all the tolerances stayed the same. I used Royal purple 75w-90 but you can use something different, Good Luck!
    Last edited by yeaseth; 02-05-2012, 12:43 PM.
    sigpic
    benvideoproductions.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=617yNrOrRfo&

Awesome write up man what is your LSD out of
    Originally posted by blunttech
    r3v does not fuck around. First you get banned, then they shoot you

Comment

I did this exact same mod on my S3.73, 2.1mm dog ears and bimmerworld clutches. Lockup is great.
      1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
      You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

awesome! did you do anything special to break them in? thats the only thing I have done yet
        sigpic
        benvideoproductions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Killacortes View Post
          Awesome write up man what is your LSD out of
          I was told it was out of either a euro 325i but I honestly dont know, Its definitely not the 3.91 that came out of the 318s because this has a 188 gear in it, and we know its not the Viscous 3.91 from the ix so im not sure
          sigpic
          benvideoproductions.com

Comment

Originally posted by yeaseth View Post
            awesome! did you do anything special to break them in? thats the only thing I have done yet
            Lol not really. Well I did but not initially. There isn't much info out there but I did some tight figure 8 maneuvers around some parking lot lights a couple weeks after the install. Did it help? I really have no clue.
            1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Awesome, I was planning on doing something like that too ;) And I was just in Sedona not too long ago Im jealous of the roads you guys have in AZ
              sigpic
              benvideoproductions.com

Comment

Originally posted by yeaseth View Post
                Awesome, I was planning on doing something like that too ;) And I was just in Sedona not too long ago Im jealous of the roads you guys have in AZ
                Our roads aren't too great either, lol. Sedona is about 45 min away from Prescott, and we have some nice mountain roads up here.

Comment

I'm still jealous, TX is just flat
                  sigpic
                  benvideoproductions.com

Comment

Loctite is a good thing on those allen bolts - PO on my replacement diff didn't, one fell out and the others were all loose.

What did you torque those allen bolts to? I can't seem to find the torque spec anywhere...
                    Ben
                    Thelma-Louise, the '88is Chump Car - back to M20 power!

2014 ChumpCar Season Schedule!
                    April 5-6 Autobahn, IL - Sat: 1st! Sun: 3rd
                    May23-25 Watkins Glen, NY: 4th, 5th, 4th
                    October 4 PittRace Sprints: 2nd in C-class
                    October 18-19 NCM, Bowling Green KY: 2nd, 1st!
                    Nov 1-2 Watkins Glen - Chumpionship - 1st car to exit the race with significant body damage :(

Find us on FB! Schaut Speed Motorsports

Comment

Sticky? ive been looking long and hard for a thread like this. good work man!

Patrick - IG:niicknac
                      RIP 1987 BMW 325is - S50'd ZF 6-speed, flared, bagged

Comment

Can doing this change the % lock over stock (with worn clutches it's obviously way less than stock)?
                        The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                        Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                        2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                        2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Me, I pull the case out first and clean everything.

But I started on the nice, light 168mm diffs and haven't learned
                          to be lazy yet...

t
                          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Bump for a great thread!
                            Originally posted by TSI
                            ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
                            OEM+

Comment

This should be stickied.
                              Originally posted by Matt-B
                              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                              X