Cost of a Auto to Manual Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of a Auto to Manual Swap

Hey I'm looking into doing a manual swap. I not sure how much a manual swap will cost. I'm assuming somewhere from 400-1000$. Which parts will be the most expensive? How much is a good condition G260 tranny?

Parts:
    transmission
    trans cross member
    trans mounted exhaust hanger
    clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing w/fork and spring, pivot pin
    flywheel
    driveshaft w/ CSB and guibo and hardware
    shifter assembly including bracket that bolts to body at the back of the assembly, the boot, and the sound deadening shit below it
    master and slave cylinder, hoses, hard lines with body clip for trans tunnel
    pedal box

Normally a 5spd manual swap taken off of a car will run you 700-900. If you have no idea what condition of the clutch/pressure plate are I'd recommend replacing them. Should do the master and slave while you're at as well.

Are you looking for a shop to perform this in your area or are you tackling this yourself?
    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

I too am looking for info on the swap. I'll just post here instead of creating a new thread (hope you don't mind).

- Are there any considerations re: early vs. late cars?
      - Is it cheaper to source parts individually? Or buy a complete swap?
      - What is the average price per part if bought individually?
      JP
      WTB: Z3 1.9 lever, plastic bumpers, 19# injectors, Anthracite Cloth Sport Seats

Current
      88 325 super eta
      00 528i/5 (daily)
      02 530iA sport

Former
      04 525iA sport
      87 325is
      91 325i
      97 528i

Comment

Well-documented subject here on r3v.

But here is my recent experience -

160k early transmission, shifter, crossmember, driveshaft $500.
        Used single mass flywheel $100
        Pedal box assembly $80

Then all the new parts you need (some OEM, not all) can add up to $500. Price them all at someplace like Pelican Parts or Blunttech.
        So the whole thing is $1000.

Much better to get all you can used in one package - piecemeal will add up fast. But you'll want a new clutch and PP, new master and slave cylinder, new mounts, new seals, new guibo, etc etc.

Early-late is based on your needs and your car...eta, seta, i, & flywheel type - which affects which throw-out bearing you'll need.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
          Well-documented subject here on r3v.

But here is my recent experience -

160k early transmission, shifter, crossmember, driveshaft $500.
          Used single mass flywheel $100
          Pedal box assembly $80

Then all the new parts you need (some OEM, not all) can add up to $500. Price them all at someplace like Pelican Parts or Blunttech.
          So the whole thing is $1000.

Much better to get all you can used in one package - piecemeal will add up fast. But you'll want a new clutch and PP, new master and slave cylinder, new mounts, new seals, new guibo, etc etc.

Early-late is based on your needs and your car...eta, seta, i, & flywheel type - which affects which throw-out bearing you'll need.
          If I have an 88 (unsure if this is considered early anymore) -- super eta which came with an optional LSD -- would it matter if my trans was from early vs. late?

Also, which driveshaft should I use?
          JP

Current
          88 325 super eta
          00 528i/5 (daily)
          02 530iA sport

Former
          04 525iA sport
          87 325is
          91 325i
          97 528i

Comment

Others here will know a lot more than me - search and read in the transmission forum.

But I think any trans will work. IF you had an early eta with crank position sensors on the bell housing, you'd need that transmission and flywheel with trigger pins. If a later car, the sensors are on the front cover so they used a different flywheel.

The single-mass and dual-mass flywheels have a different depth, so you have to buy the correct throwout bearing for that bell housing and flywheel.

I believe all manual driveshafts are the same. Get a new center support bearing / carrier and rubber guibo to match your output flange. Don't take the driveshaft apart without marking the two halves - it is factory balanced.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
              Others here will know a lot more than me - search and read in the transmission forum.

But I think any trans will work. IF you had an early eta with crank position sensors on the bell housing, you'd need that transmission and flywheel with trigger pins. If a later car, the sensors are on the front cover so they used a different flywheel.

The single-mass and dual-mass flywheels have a different depth, so you have to buy the correct throwout bearing for that bell housing and flywheel.

I believe all manual driveshafts are the same. Get a new center support bearing / carrier and rubber guibo to match your output flange. Don't take the driveshaft apart without marking the two halves - it is factory balanced.
              thanks for the tips. do you know if an 88 is considered a late model?
              JP

Current
              88 325 super eta
              00 528i/5 (daily)
              02 530iA sport

Former
              04 525iA sport
              87 325is
              91 325i
              97 528i

Comment

Originally posted by AC_Schnitzel View Post
                thanks for the tips. do you know if an 88 is considered a late model?
                Plastic bumpers or metal? If the later, it'll be early model. I'm about 70% on the info, but I'm sure someone else can re-enforce. I too have an 88 car, which is kinda quirky with parts at times.
                @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

I have an 88 that came from the factory with metal bumpers. Obviously, it can accept plastics without modification.

Also came w/ late tails -- so I'm going to call it.. a late model?
                  JP

Current
                  88 325 super eta
                  00 528i/5 (daily)
                  02 530iA sport

Former
                  04 525iA sport
                  87 325is
                  91 325i
                  97 528i

Comment

Late model then.
                    @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D