Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the M40 Motor Reliable?

Hey Guys,
    Currently looking at getting a smashed up e30 with an m40 motor for a cheap price($200 or less) it looks pretty bad condition and has 390k on the clock. I dont want to spend any money on the motor and was wondering if it is worth getting the engine as I have heard that these motors last much past 300k.
    Cheers Beau.

If it's running fine with no bad ticking noises from the top end and blowing no smoke / using no oil, then there's no reason to think that it won't last.

Does it run? The cam / top end is renowned for wear, but whole top end rebuild kit with lifters / cam / rockers etc. is around $529, so not overly expensive.
    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

The motor is 30yrs old. How do know it hasn't been rebuilt? or if its on its last legs? As long as you look at it as a gamble go for it. Expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised with the best:)

Comment

I racked up 380,000km on mine 200k where me & they where a cruel 200k. Very basic little 4cyl tappet noise is a pain, watching the oil sprayer bar if they clog up it will wear the cam.

Other than that it will happily chug along with basic love

Comment

Working...
        X