No announcement yet.

E30 #2: 1990 Delphin: RHD ITB M20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That sounds like a juggling act with getting it all assembled, is the plenum that hard to install/remove after where you couldn't of installed the spacers and plate first?

Looks great in the end, have you driven it yet? It sure alters the sound
    My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
    4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
      That sounds like a juggling act with getting it all assembled, is the plenum that hard to install/remove after where you couldn't of installed the spacers and plate first?

Looks great in the end, have you driven it yet? It sure alters the sound
      According the instructions, you can't get the carbon on/off once the once the spacer/backplate assembly is in place but I didn't test that theory. It would probably have been worth it to try it with the spacer/backplate mounted loosely on the itbs.

Rama also has a theory that the carbon portion of the box itself may pull the backing plate out of plane a bit when it gets tightened down, which may explain why the fitment was way better when I was assembling the spacers to the backplate. This would mean you should leave the bolts securing the carbon a little loose (at least most of them) when doing the final install to keep the spacers correctly aligned. Definitely something I'll look into.

I cranked it up for 2 seconds last night just to make sure I hadn't jostled anything wiring-wise. Sounded very deep :). Might cruise it around the block today.
      sigpic

Comment

COTM

Comment

This is so awesome, thanks for sharing!
          '93 300TE 24V Krautbomber
          '84 528e 5 speed Saphirblau Metallic [R.I.P.]

I love all BMWs with round headlights!

Comment

Originally posted by N2MYE30 View Post
            See you in a few weeks! Congrats on growing a 3rd pedal.

Originally posted by KrautnotRice View Post
            This is so awesome, thanks for sharing!
            Thanks! Hope the info helps somebody down the road.
            sigpic

Comment

Beautiful. and functional.
              So on to the intake and filter..

can't wait to see this car at the vintage!
              I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
              TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
              e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Beautiful! I'm excited to hear some vids of her running :)

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                  Beautiful. and functional.
                  So on to the intake and filter..

can't wait to see this car at the vintage!
                  I think I'm doing Saturday and Sunday. See you there.

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                  Beautiful! I'm excited to hear some vids of her running :)
                  I ran it for maybe 2 or 3 minutes this morning, definitely a change from open trumpets. Filter shows up tomorrow, I'll slap it on and take it around the block Sunday or Monday with the GoPro.

Sooo today I checked the hood clearance. Clayed a few areas to see where the tightest spots were, then doubled up on those. End result looks to be dead in the middle on the driver's side of the "crest", and ends up with about 3.5mm clearance on average (varies a bit front to back). See pictures.

I dropped in my first shot at an enclosed filter box, and it fit like most first shots do. Retaining the ABS pump AND the stock airbox bracket really kills all the cleanliness that the Castro box offers. This did show me that this method really won't work all that well. If I were to enclose the filter, it would likely have to be like the image below:

So now I'm really back to my first option, which was the KAMotors box. I found similar offerings when searching for "carbon fiber canister air filter":

Real carbon fibre air filter canister with removable black ABS end caps. Fine, free-flowing, washable, mesh cone inside. To ensure cold air intake, mount the filter anywhere in your engine bay. 1 metre of black flexible ducting included. (supplied compressed) 2 x Stainless band clamps included 2  75mm I.D. to 64mm I.D. adapter/reducing sleeves for connection to your inlet manifold Lightweight stainless mounting band included. Filter canister size 130mm diameter x 200mm long. REMOTE CARBON FIBRE CANISTER AIR FILTER #CARBFIL

Unfortunately, most of these are 130mm (~5.125") and 4.5" is really going to be the limit in the space I have to work with.

I've ordered this guy: http://www.amazon.com/Green-Filter-7...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

The lower base diameter is 4.625", which I should be able to juuust squeeze in this space. I think I'll 3D print something that will mount to the airbox bracket to retain it. The plan is to use carbon tube like the other canister boxes, but in a size that will work for me. Will print the end caps as well, and reinforce with metal. Waiting on the filter to arrive to check exact sizing before ordering the carbon.

Pictures:

Last edited by 318aye; 08-20-2017, 10:41 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

this brings back so many bad memories trying to get my airbox to fit lol
                    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                      this brings back so many bad memories trying to get my airbox to fit lol
                      Don't put that evil on me . I shudder to think about making it entirely on my own if Rama hadn't gone through with it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Did more searching on off the shelf filter setups, as well as exploring my options for 4.5" ID CF tubing. I'm down to one tube shop that isn't $700, and I have two filter options. The filter I have on hand is 4.625 OD on the big end, with a 3.5" outlet (no need to step up to the 90mm inlet on the box). The other that I'm looking at (http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=RU-5111) is 4.5" on the nose, but only has a 3" outlet. Going to try and cram the big one into the 4.5" ID tube. May require shaving the filter a bit.

Made a quick model of the end cap. Looks like a $40 shapeways print, but I'll try it on a printer here locally first.

My end goal is basically to replicate the KAMotors intake but in a smaller diameter and length, and with an offset inlet to get everything situated correctly for this airbox.

Also pulled the high beam to see how much room I'm really working with. On another note, the C101 connector clearance was too tight for my taste. Ziptied aside.

sigpic

Comment

looking awesome

7speedshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by kamotors View Post
                            looking awesome
                            Thanks, looking forward to your shipment!
                            sigpic

Comment

Fitting a good filter and shield is tough, I know you're pain! Looks like it's coming along though :up:

Comment

Awesome progress dude! I like the fact that some of this work is happening in what seems to be a southend apartment complex parking lot- lol. I did coilovers on my miata in my plaza midwood apartment building.. only got a few awkward stares. Now that I'm back in charlotte I'll have to catch up with you next autox or cars and coffee. I'm currently rocking a green turbo NA as my project and a 335i f30 daily.

*edit: was sad to see you got rid of the blaupunkt toronto - my favorite all time deck. Can't argue with the Manhattan, I had the same in my 325ix build
                                Build Threads:
                                Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Working...
                                X