Hub Extenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hub Extenders

Obviously they are meant to extend the hub, however the only ones I know of won't fit 4 lug E30s. In any real world application, how much of a benefit are these things really? How much could they increase the life of say a wheel bearing? An open invitation for a discussion.

The TMS hub extenders are made of high-grade, lightweight aircraft aluminum. They will press into a stock 72.5mm (Oustide Diameter.) Hub extenders are used to help keep the wheel centered and are extensions of the stock wheel hub. They are needed if a TMS 8mm or 10mm wheel spacers are used. They will also work with H&R 5mm spacers! Each hub extender is anodized for protection and corrosion resistance. These are for the front hubs and DO NOT fit the E46 Xi, E39 5 series, or E30 4 lug. These do fit E30 M3.
    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

The only real benefit is if you need to run spacers that are too small to have a hubcentric lip.

Massive Lee was looking into have 57.1mm ones made.

Jay

Comment

Anyone know if there is 57.1mm hub extenders for sale nowadays?
      My 1990 325is Build Thread

Comment

There isn't for the rear, because the inside of the hub surface is rough cast and beveled, there's too much variance for anyone to offer a one-size fits all product. I made my own out of a PVC connector, has been working great for almost a year now. You really only need them for spacers in the range of 8mm-14mm. Any bigger, you can use hub-centric spacers. Any smaller, and there's enough of the hub sticking out to center the wheel. This of course will depend on the bevel of your wheel center bore.

85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Bringing up an old thread because search. I'm running some Borbet c's, et30 with 8mm spacers. Last winter I did rear subframe bushings and while the hubs were off I thought I'd replace them with a nicer set I had laying around. They were from an 325 IX? and I have a 318IS. When comparing them I was surprised to see that the IX hub is 8mm longer which would eliminate spacers.
          Anyone ever heard or did this already? Do you think it's safe or safer than spacers?
          I opted not to install them and keep stock but just wondering now.

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
            Obviously they are meant to extend the hub, however the only ones I know of won't fit 4 lug E30s. In any real world application, how much of a benefit are these things really? How much could they increase the life of say a wheel bearing? An open invitation for a discussion.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html..._ID=TWH9905001
            Your OEM bolts or studs are not meant to carry the weight of your car, especially under heavy loads like racing. Usually the lack of hubcentricity leads to most wheel bolt/stud failure. Although we do not have these hub extenders, we have 10mm spacers with lips that work for the front of the e30 and 12mm that will fit the rear without issues.

Since the hub protrusion is longer in the rear, a 10mm may not sit flush, unless you take the OEM hub lip down about 1-1.5mm. This is why we recommend the 12mm in the rear.
            95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
            Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
            LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

[QUOTE] Your OEM bolts or studs are not meant to carry the weight of your car, especially under heavy loads like racing. [\QUOTE]

Yeah. That's why you torque them. So that they clamp the wheel to the hub face.
              The center hub is there simply to make sure they clamp the wheel in exact alignment.
              The bolts (yes, stock bolts) then only take additional lateral load in cornering, never any
              load in shear.

Usually the lack of hubcentricity leads to most wheel bolt/stud failure
              The 2002 predates BMW's penchant for hubcentric flanges and wheels, and we manage to not
              lose 10" wide slicks on a regular basis.

And yet, the wheels fall off e46's sometimes. Latest reason? The rotor hold- down
              screw was sticking out a bit, and milled its way into the wheel. The studs then were loose,
              and the wheel made its inevitable bid for freedom.

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
              X