Turbo 24v engine options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo 24v engine options

So, I’m having a bit of a dilemma trying to weigh my options for a turbo 24v swap. My initial goals are 4-500hp on stock bottom end, with spacer and cut ring hg, and whichever size turbo is appropriate. My two leading choices are m52b28 with m3 cams (plus hg/spacer) or s52 with same hg setup.

Both engines are available near me for good prices. The m52 is lower mileage and said to have been running before removal. The s52 is about twice the price with 200k miles and has a (likely) blown head gasket due to an overheating issue that was easily resolved by replacing an old coolant line, but was said to be running fine for a short period and not overheating, except for some coolant residue in the oil cap. The s52 also came from an auto.

The price difference between the two would easily be made up by the cost of s52 cams to put in the m52, making it an easy choice to go for the extra displacement if not for the hg issue, but I’m obviously wary about any damage that may have been done to the s52.

So, is it even worth considering this particular s52? If it is worth, what are some key things/areas to inspect on the s52 before and after pulling the head? (I was given permission to inspect whatever I need before purchasing). Or should I just say screw it and go with the m52?

This work in (slow) progress will be the happy recipient:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1panthertxn; 09-03-2018, 05:44 PM.
    1990 325i

i would go m52 as it has lower miles. Maintain obd2 as it is better for tuning and diagnosing. Get it running well then focus on the turbo stuff. The stock bottom end can handle alot with proper tuning. My stock S52 with 220ish hp is plenty of fun and enough to get into trouble with!

Comment

M52 w/M3 cams with cut-ring HG = reliable 450-500rwhp easily on pump gas.
      Get a good tuner.
      Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Thanks, gentlemen! That’s the answer I was kind of hoping for, because I have a lot of other parts that need to be bought still lol.

1990 325i

Comment

Originally posted by 1panthertxn View Post
          Thanks, gentlemen! That’s the answer I was kind of hoping for, because I have a lot of other parts that need to be bought still lol.

Triple what you think you are going to spend and then you are likely getting close...

Comment

Thankfully I’m not in any rush (despite getting antsy at times) and my budget is basically ”whatever it takes to get there”, but I do try to stretch every dollar as far as I can without sacrificing reliability and quality.

1990 325i

Comment

Working...
            X