N52 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    I wonder, could you make it trigger the oil level warning somehow? it should be a CAN message of course I don't know which one. :p
    Yep, I have that covered as well. The board has 7 outputs that can be programmed for all sorts of things.

Comment

Sounds like gpeterson has the solution!

Comment

Originally posted by cwlo View Post
        Sounds like gpeterson has the solution!
        Yep, I've got a few on hand and ready to ship if you are interested. Thanks.

Comment

Crazy

This is crazy. I have had 3 cars with the N52. Final one was a 3 stage intake and AA tune. Loved the eagerness of the engine to spin up.

How do you monitor your oil level?

Comment

AA tune is weaksauce, but the N52 is still a great engine.

IIRC he put in a dipstick. My buddy with the E36 ti uses a CAN board. Its not a big deal though, the N52B30 doesnt burn a lot of oil. I put in maybe 1 quart every other year (I change my oil once a year or about 10,000 miles).
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

N52 Oil Level

Actually, I haven't got the dipstick installed yet.

In the meantime, I finally found how to read it in INPA! It does not come up as an option under e90 or e85, but I put in e83 (X3), and there is a screen that shows a bunch of readings on oil:....time since last change, oil quality, and oil level.

Also, G Petersen is trying to see if he can get his CAN converter to read the CAN message, and drive an output.

Comment

Can't wait to see Dyno figures!

Comment

Originally posted by cwlo View Post
                  Actually, I haven't got the dipstick installed yet.

In the meantime, I finally found how to read it in INPA! It does not come up as an option under e90 or e85, but I put in e83 (X3), and there is a screen that shows a bunch of readings on oil:....time since last change, oil quality, and oil level.

Also, G Petersen is trying to see if he can get his CAN converter to read the CAN message, and drive an output.
                  So your car is in can-11h mode. It should be able to do it. I could probabily assist in identifying the CAN id for the oil level if needed.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Wow this sounds amazing. I was actually only looking for information about the N52 because I'm planning on getting an e91 for the family, but this just took it to another level. Nando, I'd like to see yours completed before I one day venture down this same path.

Comment

I am thrilled to read this post and see this progress. I was looking for info on an n52 swap a little over a year ago and could not find anything but the one thread Nando mentioned. Seeing that you guys have cracked it really gives me enthusiasm for doing my own this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So I was looking over the Piper motorsport e30 M3 V-10 build. They took the e90 front and rear subframes and integrated them into the e30. (I'm actually looking into doing the rear e90, but that's another story). Anyway, if the e90 front subframe can be integrated into the e30 with a bit of modding, would it be possible to run the N52 without any oilpan or oil pump pickup tube mods? No arc asylum subframe needed either. Seems like another way to go. Thoughts?

Comment

I'm sure it can be done, but I bet you end up with just as much fabrication in the end. The E90 is bigger than the E30 in almost every dimension.

Although the nice thing is E90 front suspension is all aluminum (on non-XI models) and it seems to last forever.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'm down to find out! Anyone have an e90 they can send me?

Comment

The big downside of the e90 is definitely the track width. Approx 3 3/4" wider. So flares would be certain, but it is a bit more sophisticated and superior in performance.

Going back in series, perhaps the e46 or e36 should be considered. The 318ti N52 swap did not require oil pan, pickup, or subframe mods.

My main point here is that the Arc asylum option is currently not available, so other options should be considered.

Comment

Using an E36 or E46 will work, putting an E36 or E46 subframe in an E30 will not. In the E36/E46 the mounts on the body are in a different place in relation to the middle plane of the engine fore/aft. Only major difference compared to the E30 subframe is the location of the engine mount ears.
                                -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Working...
                                X