No announcement yet.

SOLVED: Intake Cam Almost Flush?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When in doubt start over. Your pretty close. Are you using the older tensioner with the spring? If so get rid of it and get the new fully hydraulic one. A failing unit rattles.
    Last edited by ZekeTheSneak; 09-24-2018, 10:46 PM.

Comment

The problem is I don't know where to start. The holes are perfectly centered from my pic and they max out on both ends on the intake and exhaust side. Both tensioners utilize a spring correct? I am unaware of a fully hydraulic tensioner. Where can I find one? Part #?

Comment

Yah your cam gears look to be allighned. The markings on them don't really do a whole lot as far as reference which is annoying. I've seen them installed many ways with the reference marks either up and down or left and right. Its been a while.

Get the crank to tdc. Put the sprocket on so all the holes are open. You can favor the left side or right. I do the left as with the direction of the engine. Make sure the cam lock tool is on and down fully. Insert the crank tensioner. Doesn't need to be super tight just needs to take up some slack.

Put oil on the cones and spacer stuff for the intake sprocket. The studs on the intake cam should be tightened at this point.

Put the two sprockets with chain on so it can move freely to both ends like you have. Install the sprocket tensioner and take the pin out. Tighten the nuts on the intake cam.

Then you should be able to with the tool, rotate the intake cam back and forth the 15 degrees or whatever movement it has. Then install the vanos making sure it grabs right away.

You are using the cam tool correct? Also check the tdc marks. It's easy to be off a little bit. If you get the same cam position the second time around then I would just run it.

Comment

I don’t know what I did differently, if anything, but I removed and installed vanos. Rotated motor and the blocks were flush!! Could I have been off 1 tooth on vanos?

Regardless, thank you all for the input and I appreciate the help!

Comment

No problem glad you got it figured out!

Comment

Working...
            X