No announcement yet.

Since we're here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To each his own. You have just as much faith in whatever it is you believe. Something to think about.
    Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Originally posted by LBJefferies View Post
      I am being completely serious.

Did you know that Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and both Roosevelt's were all liberals? These are widely regarded as the top 5 Presidents in American history.

Really what you have a problem with is the economic policy that many contemporary liberals support.
      This is a poor argument. Being liberal in Washington's time would be extremely conservative now.
      Originally posted by LJ851
      I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Did you know that Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and both Roosevelt's were all liberals? These are widely regarded as the top 5 Presidents in American history.

Your really reaching for this one

yeah and if JFK were to be around now he would fall into the conservative camp, by modern definitions.
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

Our nation was founded on a fear of government.

Times change I suppose.
          Originally posted by z31maniac
          I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
            And independents, for the most part, are indecisive wafflers who are too spineless to actually take a stance on anything, and wait in the wings to jump on whichever side emerges victorious. This is, of course, subjective. See; Hillary Clinton.
            LOL, first annual political forum POST OF THE YEAR award candidate.
            (your mileage may vary. See contest details for prizes)
            1987 E30 325is
            1999 E46 323i
            RIP 1994 E32 740iL
            oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Originally posted by chadthestampede View Post
              This is a poor argument. Being liberal in Washington's time would be extremely conservative now.
              Maybe if you speak of specific issues but the mindset is still the same. These people questioned the conservative norms of their times and this is what made them liberal. Lincoln really is the best example of this. Slavery was a long held conservative tradition which Lincoln completely abolished. If you look at what he did as a whole, he implemented economic regulation, expanded the power of the federal government and gave more rights/power to minorities. He might as well have had a dreadlocks and smoked a joint while delivering the emancipation proclamation because he was a straight up hippie of his day. People HATED Lincoln for the same reasons that people hate liberals today. In retrospect though, he is widely regarded as the greatest US President.

Conservatives are really going against the grain of history.

Comment

In retrospect though, he is widely regarded as the greatest US President..
                I think that statement might really be pushing your argument. But overall, interesting point.
                Originally posted by z31maniac
                I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Slavery was a long held conservative tradition which Lincoln completely abolished.
                  Better re-read the Emancipation Proclamation! It freed NO Northern slaves, only slaves who were in states that were in rebellion. It "freed" Southern slaves, but since the South was in rebellion, they did not heed the declaration.

The Emancipation Proclamation did not free all slaves in the United States. Rather, it declared free only those slaves living in states not under Union control. William Seward, Lincoln's secretary of state, commented, "We show our symapthy with slavery by emancipating slaves where we cannot reach them and holding them in bondage where we can set them free." Lincoln was fully aware of the irony, but he did not want to antagonize the slave states loyal to the Union by setting their slaves free.

The proclamation allowed black soldiers to fight for the Union -- soldiers that were desperately needed. It also tied the issue of slavery directly to the war.

Lincoln was no hippie-but he was politically savvy. On the one hand he said:

"The monstrous injustice of slavery... deprives our republican example of its just influence in the world- enables the enemies of free institutions, with plausibility, to taunt us as hypocrites- causes the real friends of freedom to doubt our sincerity, and especially because it forces so many really good men amongst ourselves into an open war with the very fundamental principles of civil liberty."

But then he also said:

"My first impulse would be to free all the slaves, and send them to Liberia, to their own native land. But a moment's reflection would convince me, that whatever of high hope (as I think there is) there may be in this, in the long run, its sudden execution is impossible."

He wanted them gone, but it was too late. We had imported to many. Ironic that the main reason we have so many African-Americans in this country was the greed and laziness of white people...

That's not racist in the sense that I am implying superiority of one race over another. Just an observation of reality.

Comment

That's cute.

h0lmes thinks the Civil War was about slavery.
                    Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Holmes you do know that many of the founders despised slavery, and actuly changed a key line in the Declaration of independence

To "right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" which we all should know.

From "Rights to life, Liberty and PROPERTY"

this was changed so that the southern slave owners could not point to this and say slaves are property and there for part of the declaration of independence and founding principals for the revolution. Slavery was a very very stick subject for the Continental Congress and was one thing they could not agree upon and chose to basically ignore . Knowing it would come to a head and resolve itself at some point.

AND NO THE civil war was not about slavery.

There is an old joke, that says Abe Lincoln woke one morn, after a 3 day bender and exclaimed after and Aid whispered something into his ear, "I FREED THE WHAT"
                      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                      William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                        Lesser intelligence than what?

Certainly not you and those 9000 other people dumb enough to beleive that crap.

And let me just point out that's a pretty big statement without any backing thus far. If you've got some questions, by all means. If you want to throw insults around, that's fine to but it just makes you look as bad as those idiots holding "God Hates Fags" signs.
                        Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Originally posted by ck_taft325is View Post
                          ... I think a Democrat (on the Liberal/Progressive side) is literally, of lesser intelligence.

That is all.
                          Intersting idea. I counter with this:

According to this study, people who identified themselves as 'liberal' had, on average, a 6-11 point higher IQ than those who did not. While small, it is statistically significant.

Discuss.

Comment

the data should not be used to stereotype or make assumptions about people, experts say.
                            they know exactly what the data is going to be used for.

Besides, IQ tests are worthless anymore. Since they only measure linguistic, mathematical, and spatial intelligence, they merely show how well a person may do academically, not how 'smart' they are. Different occupations and activities call for different types of intelligences, and IQ test scores have no bearing on economic success.
                            Originally posted by LJ851
                            I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                              That's cute.

h0lmes thinks the Civil War was about slavery.
                              Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                              Holmes you do know that many of the founders despised slavery, and actuly changed a key line in the Declaration of independence

To "right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" which we all should know.

From "Rights to life, Liberty and PROPERTY"

this was changed so that the southern slave owners could not point to this and say slaves are property and there for part of the declaration of independence and founding principals for the revolution. Slavery was a very very stick subject for the Continental Congress and was one thing they could not agree upon and chose to basically ignore . Knowing it would come to a head and resolve itself at some point.

AND NO THE civil war was not about slavery.

There is an old joke, that says Abe Lincoln woke one morn, after a 3 day bender and exclaimed after and Aid whispered something into his ear, "I FREED THE WHAT"
                              Do you honestly believe that the Civil War was not about slavery? Who told you this, some southern redneck bitching about states rights? Have you ever read a single book on the Civil War?

You're pretty ignorant if you think the Civil War wasn't about slavery. During Lincoln's campaign, the only issue he campaigned on was to stop the expansion of slavery. The South wanted to expand slavery into Western territories and the North wouldn't let them, so they seceded. The whole reason states seceded was because of slavery. They claimed states rights but a states right to do what? Use slave labor. It was about both states rights and slavery.

Regardless, this is almost irrelevant to my argument because my point still stands. If you look at Lincoln's presidency, he regulated the economy, expanded the role of the federal government, and granted more rights to minorities. The man was a liberal.
                              Last edited by LBJefferies; 04-06-2010, 11:28 AM.

Comment

H0lmes here let me put it into terms your narrow mind will understand

Slavery to the Civil war, is what WMDs are to the current Iraqi deal. an excuse to help garner public support

William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                                X