No announcement yet.

E30 Interior Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'll need to have an interior shop mod some standard door cards. Check this post on my build thread for pics of custom 2 piece cards.
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
      You'll need to have an interior shop mod some standard door cards. Check this post on my build thread for pics of custom 2 piece cards.
      I'll check that out, thx

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
        Like B-Rad said, you could go the route of modding standard vinyl door cards into two-piece cards to get the look of my vert's door cards. That would be the way to go, assuming you want the door cards to be all leather.

I've seen a post on e30tech where a guy was able to replicate heat bonded seems of the one-piece vinyl and cloth door panels, but I've never seen or heard of it being done elsewhere.

What a lot of people don't know is that the E30 M3 had one-piece vinyl and m-tech cloth door cards, plus the door pulls were vinyl and the map pockets were bare plastic. However, the US version M-technic convertibles had two-piece leather and mtech cloth door panels, and the door panels and map-pockets were leather-covered. Score one for the Mtech vert over the M3 ;)

The vert door cards can be modded to fit a coupe, you just need to create some space on the backside for the B-pillar. I have a spare set of US mtech door cards that I'll be re-covering in real m-tech fabric. At that point, my all leather mtech door cards will be expendable, but I'd charge an arm and leg to for them.
        Last edited by robrez; 12-20-2016, 03:13 PM.
        sigpic
        January 2012 COTM

Comment

Apparently I need to brush up on all the factory interior variations offered. I never really paid much attention before I bought a two-tone (tan and black) interior E30 and looked at every page of this thread instead of sleeping.

Comment

Less talk, more interiors.

Here is my Taurusrot with a bit of black contrast added. Looking for 2 good condition taurus headrests, the rears in mine were sunrotted.

318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
            '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Looks good. Another interior I had never seen or heard of.

I will post my interior as it sits once I'm back home. Then hopefully in a year or so I will post the updated perfect interior.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

sigpic
                  January 2012 COTM

Comment

Treated myself to a new leather interior kit for Christmas. The one seat took me a few days. I predict the other one will go faster.

Comment

Originally posted by htseng View Post

Treated myself to a new leather interior kit for Christmas. The one seat took me a few days. I predict the other one will go faster.

Is this the kit off of eBay? There is a seller that has vinyl bolsters I'm considering getting to replace my worn ones. How would you say the quality is?

Comment

DIY OEM sport seat repair - not hard!

If you're handy, here's the best, least expensive way I've found to stay OEM and repair damaged sport seat covers - find another passenger seat in good condition, and swap seat parts across your three seats to end up with 2 good ones. It's not all that hard.

here's a really good example of someone who's done this, from the same thread.

It works because what usually wears out, in order:
                        a) the upper outside bolster of your driver's seat
                        b) lower outside bolster of driver's
                        c) bottom center pad and knee bolster of driver's
                        d) upper outside bolster of pass seat

There are plenty of seat repair writeups and vids. Start here

Small sample of what you need to do

1) compare the new pass seat you bought to your existing pass seat. you may find that you can leave the best pass seat alone. worst case you may need to swap one or two bolsters between the pass seats. Use what's left over to repair your driver's seat.

2) remove the driver's seat back, then separate the top and bottom. focus on the top section first because it's easier to work with than the bottom.

3) do the same with the passenger donor seat.

next is pulling the bolster out. you can salvage the hog rings that hold the bolsters together, rather having to buy new ones and matching hog ring pliers, you'll at least need strong needle nose pliers and patience to pry them out of the seat frames.

4) there are 4 hog rings holding the outside bolster to the center seat frame. remove them carefully.

5) you can now remove the outside bolster. I recommend pulling the cloth/leather and the foam together. the top of the foam is glued to the frame so be carefully pulling it back.

6) move to the donor pass seat and remove the same bolster

7) swap the bolsters, then carefully put the 4 hog rings back in. again this takes patience.

If this isn't intimidating to you I strongly encourage you to try! You'll end up with OEM repaired seats! They won't be new but they'll look great.

Other stuff you may want to do as part of the project
                        -- mechanical restoration and seat shock replacement. jeffnhiscars sells a low cost replacement set that works perfectly, $80 a seat, $140 for the pair.
                        -- de-rust and paint seat rails, paint plastic trim
                        -- add heated seat elements to the center section. it's absurdly easy to do
                        Last edited by bradnic; 01-21-2017, 10:50 AM.
                        I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                        DB vert plastic bumpers
                        OEM Keys
                        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                        91 ic Calypso 3.1
                        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                        TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                        e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

I have sport seats wrapped in comfort grey cloth, PM for pics

Comment

Originally posted by 318kid View Post
                            Is this the kit off of eBay? There is a seller that has vinyl bolsters I'm considering getting to replace my worn ones. How would you say the quality is?

It was off eBay. But didn't sell and he accepted an offer. So i cant find the name. But an overstock from Pennsylvania. Not the one in socal. Only things that are vinyl are the sides of the bolsters. All seating surfaces are leather

Comment

i miss this thread. bump with my new seats.

Comment

Still deciding what to ultimately do with mine... it started out as an indigo (0271) coloured interior with trashed comfort seats. Currently I have period correct Recaro LXs, although may go back to sports seats as I have a set in the shed and find them more comfortable than the Recaros due to the height adjustment that's possible on the sports.

My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Working...
                                X