Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16x8 "style 5?" rims. Redrill or adapters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been running these wheels pretty hard for 9 months with no issues filled and drilled with 12mm hubcentric spacers on the front to clear the calipers. Tires are 205/50/16. I customized the centercaps a little and have about 60 hours in to refinishing them. Looking to another set for my next e30. My only compliant is they are pretty heavy. The upcoming turbo should help with that
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 916e30Dave; 08-10-2016, 03:24 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Another one without the center caps shows the 4 lug.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by 916e30Dave; 08-10-2016, 03:48 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I've been running adapters on my style 5s for around 5 years. No issues.

Comment

Originally posted by 916e30Dave View Post
          Been running these wheels pretty hard for 9 months with no issues filled and drilled with 12mm hubcentric spacers on the front to clear the calipers. Tires are 205/50/16. I customized the centercaps a little and have about 60 hours in to refinishing them. Looking to another set for my next e30. My only compliant is they are pretty heavy. The upcoming turbo should help with that
          Which style 5s are those from? I'm running style 5s from the E39 BBS RC 090 I think it's the wheel but I got rubbing issues. Where did you get those 16"s
          '91 318is Alpinweiss/Gray cloth Gone
          '90 325i Schwartz/Tan Gone
          '88 325ix Brillanrot/Blk Restored & sold
          '91 318is Alpinweiss/Tan Restoring

:twisted:

Comment

Anyone with the adapters running a 225/45?
            1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
            1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Just picked some up and have been debating the whole time whether to get them some adapters or fill n redrill them. The price range is not even that much off, iron-e an LA local can do the job for $225 and adapters run around $300 bucks. The only differences I've seen is having to get a smaller wall size if running adapters or having to get hub rings if filled n redrilled but I also just thought of what if you happen to get a flat and you're running with adapters? I personally have a bottlecap as a spare (which is obviously 4x100) So i'd need to be carry tools to be able to remove the adapter. I also have a fifth Style 5(16x8) if I were wanting to use that as a spare but I'd need to get an extra tire for that and I have a 10" sub in my trunk so the bigger the wheel the harder it'll be to take out. So I seem to be laying more on the fill n redrill side personally.. idk just my input for anyone.
              FS: Plug n Play Second Trunk Light !
              My Parts for Sale Thread~

x 1984 325e 2.7i ~ CastroMotorsport Built x Daily Driven

Comment

For those of you that are filled and drilled, what kind of lugs or studs is everyone running? I'm looking at a set local to me and just trying to get an idea of what extras I will need to buy to get them to work. The seller has caps and I would like to be able to run the caps on the wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by 318kid View Post
                  For those of you that are filled and drilled, what kind of lugs or studs is everyone running? I'm looking at a set local to me and just trying to get an idea of what extras I will need to buy to get them to work. The seller has caps and I would like to be able to run the caps on the wheels.
                  I think I bought my spacers with longer lugs from ECS tuning a few years ago , no issues to date

Comment

Originally posted by 318kid View Post
                    x2 on this question.

What spacers are you all using to stay hubcentric, since the hub size is being changed. Spacers are easy, but typically hubcentric rings don't fit properly over the edge of a spacer so I want to make sure I snag the right ones.
                    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by cardnation View Post
                      I had a wild idea here so bare with me.

It seems like we are talking about a ~3mm difference in offset being the issue when running 18mm adapters.

Has anyone thought about shaving a couple mm off the inside hub, increasing the offset so say 26mm or 28mm?

There is A TON of metal in there.

Thoughts?

What's the safest way to do this yourself?

Comment

Has anybody tried the 16 mm spacers from Race Skids? If been looking and all I can find is the 18mm spacers and those looks to wide to me in the front.

Comment

Working...
                        X