No announcement yet.

M50 Turbo Winter Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

welded the o2 and beefed up a few weaker spots! very happy with it! will be wrapped and finished soon.

that ground clearance tho!

87 325es - M50 Boosted - Link to BUILD THREAD
    07 328xi wagon 6mt - daily

Comment

Was that as tight as you could get it? I'm not sure how low you are but I imagine you are going to scrape. I have to redo my whole exhaust because I scrape over ridges in the road
      1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
      COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Originally posted by Pootis View Post
        Was that as tight as you could get it? I'm not sure how low you are but I imagine you are going to scrape. I have to redo my whole exhaust because I scrape over ridges in the road
        It wont scrap. I put the wheels on the measure ground clearance. It'd definitely slightly lower than my old exhaust and slightly lower than I want but I have a solid 4 inches to the ground.... which is still not alot but not much room upward too

Edit: since the posted pics above I did re-adjust a few things and end up squeezing another 1/2inch or so upward! Feel pretty good about the ground clearance now
        Last edited by SirMaxximus; 02-06-2018, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Wrapped and done.. working on the midpipe and + wastegate routing... I've decided to route it back into the exhaust rather than dump pipe it!

Comment

So, not alot has happened in the last few weeks. Made little progress on the exhaust.. But will get back to this soon. The wastegate will end up routed back into the exhaust. I got it all moched up with a flex pipe on it and another V-band to make things easier to remove.. It'l work nice

Otherwise. I mounted the turbo, oil drain, intercooler into their spots for good. Installed waterpump, thermostat, drive belt. Oil pressure sender and ran a bunch of wiring for gauges and things.. Got a lot of little things done basically. Bought some charge piping and got that cut to size. 2.5" on the hot side, 3" cold side

I kinda hate this green intake filter but it was dirt cheap and it will work so I cant complain

Had to trim and make some brackets for that lower piece to fit now with the intercooler + pipping in the way... all fits nice! I need to paint that piece to match now, its been the wrong color since I bought the car! but all fits and clears, lower bumper does as well! I'm going to be relying alot on airflow from the lower apron, was hoping more of the top would show through the kidneys!

Going to pick up an FX stage 3 clutch and chromoly flywheel from gripforce once I get my tax return. I also need an intake elbow, thinking the CES Stainless elbow but open to cheap suggestions that would hold boost... the Mishimoto one is like $70 and that seems crazy to me.... Otherwise I think I literally have all my other parts to get started! I've been seriously contemplating doing E85, but I already have 42lb injectors in hand and a full tank of 93.... So I'm gonna get up and running first and maybe go that route as long as this headgasket holds my 8-10 psi on pump.... Might be able to boost a bit higher on E85 without so much stock compression risk that way! We'll see, not too worried either way and getting excited to drive this thing and tired of this freakin cold. Minnesota sucks
            Last edited by SirMaxximus; 02-21-2018, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Those Bosch gauges are pretty rad.
              The FX 3 clutch lasted years in my car making 320wtq, but started slipping at 400wtq upon the 15th or so dyno run after years of use and slight abuse. Just some friendly info.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                Those Bosch gauges are pretty rad.
                The FX 3 clutch lasted years in my car making 320wtq, but started slipping at 400wtq upon the 15th or so dyno run after years of use and slight abuse. Just some friendly info.
                Appreciate it mate, sounds good, I figure if I get years of use out of it with slight abuse I can't complain at that price!

Comment

Okay... So I have good news... and I have bad news.... Lets start with the good:

Finished all the wiring in the interior today! Plugged the battery in, got my power probe out and did some testing. Everything powers up and seems to be working good!

Okay.. So now for the bad news: After finishing the wiring, I decided to pull the tranny so I could put the new clutch in..

So glad I got a new clutch... Its always grabbed with no issues. But it looks pretty toasted at this point. I got the gripforce FX stage 3 kit.

Okay.... so heres the bad part... as soon as I started pulling the tranny I noticed a rather large crack in the bell housing... Its tough to see in the photo's, but I'm shining my light on the other side and its pretty obvious in person.... So here's my question, Should I bother trying to repair this or is it a lost cause? should I just suck it up and buy a ZF cause this things gonna blow as soon as I boost it anyways? or can I get a year out of it and save some money?... Its also got a little more input shaft play than I'd like... because of these two reason's I'm a little bummed on it... I don't have a dial indicator to measure the shaft play but I'd bet its out of spec.... Its always driven quite and smooth for me tho.

Comment

I would definitely go ZF 310 or 320 at this point. Not really worth saving an old beat up g260 and the ZF will hold a lot more turbski power. Orrrr you could 6 speed swap it like me

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
                    IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Originally posted by mitchlikesbikes View Post
                      I would definitely go ZF 310 or 320 at this point. Not really worth saving an old beat up g260 and the ZF will hold a lot more turbski power. Orrrr you could 6 speed swap it like me
                      What are the details on a 6 speed? Havn't seen much info on this, what trans, shift linkage, and driveshaft did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by SirMaxximus View Post
                        What are the details on a 6 speed? Havn't seen much info on this, what trans, shift linkage, and driveshaft did you use?
                        ZF from e46 330i, UUC clutch, e36 m3 auto driveshaft, modified 330i linkage. The modified linkage is meh though, I will probably buy a chassis mounted shifter sooner or later.

You also have to extend and reinforce the trans brace, not a big deal if you have a welder and know how to use it okay. I have more info in my build thread as well

Either ZF trans you use will have shorter gearing though so you'll want a longer diff if you're not already running one. I went for a 3.25 but a 2.93 might be more suitable for a turbo car like yours

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
                        IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Originally posted by mitchlikesbikes View Post
                          ZF from e46 330i, UUC clutch, e36 m3 auto driveshaft, modified 330i linkage. The modified linkage is meh though, I will probably buy a chassis mounted shifter sooner or later.

You also have to extend and reinforce the trans brace, not a big deal if you have a welder and know how to use it okay. I have more info in my build thread as well

Either ZF trans you use will have shorter gearing though so you'll want a longer diff if you're not already running one. I went for a 3.25 but a 2.93 might be more suitable for a turbo car like yours
                          Interesting... Thanks for this info mate... I'll keep my eyes open for one, if I can find it in the right price range I'd be down for this route... I think the ZF310 or 320 is more at my price point tho... I dont really need 6 gears realistically, but who doesn't like 6 gears! lol And yea I've already got a 2.93 on it for boost, so the ZF ratio should be really similar to my G250... I think its the 260 that has way different ratio's.

Does anyone know if I can use my shift linkage from my G250 on a ZF? just trying to get a grasp on what I realistically need to hunt down if I was to swap.

So far I understand I need:
                          -Driveshaft from 96+ 328/m3
                          -CSB from an e30 to mate to the new driveshaft (lets face it, the old one will get damaged if I try to remove it)
                          -Larger guibo for ZF
                          -Different Shift linkage?
                          -Different Clutch fork? (probably not... same throw out bearing... but if someone can confirm)

1 more thought: has anyone ever tried to swap the output shaft's in the ZF and getrag?... If they swapped, I sure feel like I'd be able to use my current driveshaft / guibo / CSB and save a buttload of money... I get that I'd be loosing the benifit of the larger guibo, but if I kept the flange I could easily swap back once I find an affordable driveshaft.. seems like people are charging silly amounts for these things
                          Last edited by SirMaxximus; 03-11-2018, 08:24 PM.

Comment

The output shaft doesn't fit.

E36 328i linkage is bolt-on to e30 with 5-speed ZF.

Comment

Hello Engine Butthole, you look nice today.

Hello new clutch and flywheel. you also look quite fine.

Oh and whats this! New ZF320!... yeah I bit the bullet and just picked up a ZF this week... that getrag probably woulda worked for a bit if I welded up the bell housing... but it just seemed like it didn't have long left for it.

Found a place that makes adapters for my current driveshaft. So should be good there. my local guy who sold me the tranny said he'd get me whatever linkage and carrier I need from his stockpile. But wasnt sure exactly what was needed so I told him I'd let him know what I need once I get it in. I'll for sure need longer linkage, this ones not even close.. the carrier is really close tho! sits about perfect front to back. but sits a bit to the passenger side.. anyone know what exact carrier I'd need to have it sit centered perfectly? It looks like it would work but might be tough to get into 5th... hard to tell without the linkage in yet.

Also Big shout out to my buddie zack. He came back out today and we finished up the exhaust. Wastegate re-routed into the mid-pipe.

My niece is pretty cute

Comment

this thread has some info on shift linkages although it doesn't really give a clear answer. I'd go with pazi on this one and try and run the 328i carrier to see if that will center your shifter up.
                                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                                X