No announcement yet.

m42 running hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diy mate. Grab a comp gauge and do it in the garage.

Comment

Just wanted to let y'all know that i have solved this issue and am moving forward on different issues. Thanks for all the support on this post!

Comment

How did you solve it? Would be nice to know for future reference myself.
        Steve • Toronto
        1991 318is • Brillantrot
        Build Thread

Comment

I replaced every part of the cooling system besides the radiator and spent about 2 weeks burping the system every chance i got. Bought new air vent plugs for the top of the radiator as well as a new radiator cap. Find a incline when you decide to burp the system. It made it that much more efficient. I also used the lucas oil stabilizer and i now feel like an advocate for it. I can 100% feel and hear the difference with just 1 quart of it. Go get some now!

-Radiator
          -hoses
          -vent cap
          -fan clutch
          -thermostat
          -water pump
          -BMW COOLANT!<--- DON'T USE REGULAR ANTIFREEZE!

Comment

Short answer to solving the overheat issue, throw more money at it! :???:

Comment

Which part looked like it was the culprit?

Was the radiator very clogged?

Comment

honestly i think that the PO was an idiot. He put the wrong thermostat in it and never bled the system correctly. The vent plug at the top was mangled so i think that attributed to the issue. I still don't trust the oem gauges completely, so i plan on getting a new gauge cluster right above the ashtray. I don't think the radiator was clogged. Then again how would I know?

Long story short never EVER trust the PO. There is a check list i found on the forum somewhere and I will 100% follow that list to a T next time I buy another e30. Ill also only buy with a majority of service records. Man it sucks not knowing what has been done to your car. Life lesson i guess. Sometimes it takes me a couple times to learn. O well I guess the second try is the charm in my scenario. I do love R3V now though so i bought a sticker lol.

Comment

When you bled the system on a slope, was it front end facing down slope or up slope?
                  Steve • Toronto
                  1991 318is • Brillantrot
                  Build Thread

Comment

Yes definitely. You want the bleeder valve to be at the highest position of the coolant system to maximize the burping potential and reduce the amount of times you have to do it. Which is already like 5-6 times.
                    DO NOT UNDO THE COOLANT TANK CAP WHILE THE MOTOR IS HOT!
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                    This is the worst possible thing you can do.

Comment

Working...
                    X