Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M44 oil filter housing: Can M42 metal cap be used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M44 oil filter housing: Can M42 metal cap be used?

1991 318is:
    I have an oil leak at the filter housing, and have replaced the filter in the past - It still leaks and getting worse. So planning to sub in an M44 oil filter housing which apparently is a better design and less $$.
    I don't like the plastic cap used on the M44 oil filter housing. Looks cheesy, and I just don't like the way it works. Special tool to remove the cap, or wind up gouging it up with channel locks trying to loosen . . .
    Can the M42 metal cap be substituted?

I don’t think so, as the M42 cap seals differently, isn’t threaded, uses a through bolt, etc. But if you need an M42 OFH I have a couple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jwal View Post
      I don’t think so, as the M42 cap seals differently, isn’t threaded, uses a through bolt, etc. But if you need an M42 OFH I have a couple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Thanks, I am going to move forward with the new M44 unit, even though I don't like the black plastic screw cap

Comment

I’m sure it will be an improvement, just make sure it has all the elements you need. I would check the mounting points for any idler Pulleys or tensioners. The M44 setup is very different from the early M42.

Comment

You can rest assured that BMW still hasnt figured out how to do oil filter housings in later models either.

Comment

I have the M44 housing on mine. The swap is fairly straightforward. Just remember that the outlet uses 2 o-rings.

The leak that you have is most likely not due to anything being wrong with the housing. I assume that the front and bottom of the engine are all soaked in oil now, and maybe you have small puddles forming under the car? If so, it's the o-ring on the oil outlet where it goes into the main oil galley in the block. That is a notorious leak source on these engines. All you need to do is replace the gasket and o-ring (taking great care to get all gasketing surfaces clean, not knock ANY crud into the round bore hole on the engine and apply a little oil or silicone lube to the o-ring before forcing it into the hole).

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

I had my mechanic install since it's my DD, and he mentioned that in the M42 housing there is a pressed in fitting with another o-ring that deforms over time. Anyway, the new housing is in and it's not leaking . . . yet. Now I need to find an oil cap wrench that will fit the M44 plastic cap

Comment

There are a bunch of them. As far as I know, it is a 74mm 14-point cap.

The OEM tool: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/83300495448/

There are tons of other knock-off ones on the web for less. Just make damn sure to obey the torque spec molded into the cap...over-tightening the cap is a big no-no since most of these large sockets will slip & start rounding the plastic. All of the sealing is done by the o-ring, so there's no need to go much past hand tight...maybe just a tap on a short ratchet handle after seating it.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                  There are a bunch of them. As far as I know, it is a 74mm 14-point cap.

The OEM tool: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/83300495448/

There are tons of other knock-off ones on the web for less. Just make damn sure to obey the torque spec molded into the cap...over-tightening the cap is a big no-no since most of these large sockets will slip & start rounding the plastic. All of the sealing is done by the o-ring, so there's no need to go much past hand tight...maybe just a tap on a short ratchet handle after seating it.
                  That's the one I ordered: 18$ @ Dealer with CCA. Agreed re: tightening. We had an E39 Touring, and it had the same style cap. Never tighten more than hand tight, or a tiny bit more

Comment

Working...
                  X