Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with CM5908 slider radio

Hey Guys,

So I bought a unknown condition slider radio for cheap, and I am trying to determine if it is functional before trying to install it in place of the fart can radio that’s currently in my 89ix. My hope is to add the Bluetooth Retrofit Kit that jay sterling is selling here on R3V if the radio is fully operational.

The wiring harness I’m using is one I bought here on R3V and is from and unknown E30.

So what I have done so far is hook it up directly to the car battery. I have the code, and it fires up, all the buttons are working, slider function works, and the cassette player is fully functional.

Where I am having trouble is getting any sound. I have a speaker, and I am wiring it up to (what I believe are) the speaker wires, but I am not getting any sound at all. I’ve tried two different sets of speaker wires, the blue/brown and blue/black and the yellow/red and solid yellow that you see stripped on the ends in the pic. I am expecting at least static on the FM frequency (no radio stations because no antenna). I have an old cassette (Led Zep 2), and when I play that I get no sound either.

Am I missing anything as far as what I am doing? I feel like I may be hooking up the speaker incorrectly. Or is the radio junk? Since everything else is working on it, I tend to believe I am doing something wrong.

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
    1994 Mazda Miata

Doesn't look like you're doing anything wrong, if it turns on you should be getting sound out of those stripped terminals. Sounds like something in the amplifier bit the dust.

But it's not junk! I'd say more than half of these radios I've gotten have some degree of no audio or weak audio, but all are repairable. I have a repair just for this:

BMW CM5908 No Power/Audio Repair Service

Comment

Cool thanks Jay. I may send it to you for repair and install of the bluetooth upgrade.

Something bad happened while I was testing it yesterday. The blue/black and blue/brown wires touched, sparks flew, and the radio shut off, and bad smells occurred.

Hopefully thats something you can repair as well?
      1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Yep, you probably blew the fuse and something got a little hot in the process, but it's repairable.

Comment

Awesome thanks for the response. Will plan on sending it out to you soon.
          1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Working...
          X