Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16x8 "style 5?" rims. Redrill or adapters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16x8 "style 5?" rims. Redrill or adapters?

I picked these up yesterday for a pretty good deal. The seller wasn't sure what car they came off of, he bought them for his son's 3 series and he never used them.

Under the caps I found that they are made by Fundo, and are 16x8.

Underneath 16x8, it had "HO" and "28" circled, I'm guessing that's an offset of 28?

Underneath Fundo it had "41" and "96" circled, I'm guessing that's meaningless?

My question now is, do you think it would be a better idea to possibly fill/redrill the wheels to fit my e30, allowing me to then run hubcentric spacers/extended lugs? Or buy the 4x100 -> 5x120 adapters?

Would having them drilled to 4x100 help in future resale possibly? Most 5 lug e36/e39 etc like 17/18/19 rims anyway, these are probably most appealing to us ordinary 4 lug e30 drivers..

Attached Files
    2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

The offset is too low for adapters.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

oooo snap. So redrill is really the only option with these?

Comment

Ya unless you want extreme poke up front.
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Those are the e38 Style 5s. 16x8, ET23. I am running them on my M3 at the moment.

'89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Originally posted by Wishno87 View Post
            Ya unless you want extreme poke up front.
            Ok, then redrill it is. All I gotta do now is find a reputable shop that can redrill them for me..

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
            Those are the e38 Style 5s. 16x8, ET23. I am running them on my M3 at the moment.
            Were they all et23? It does say BMW IS 23 on it. I figured the offset would be located near the "16x8"

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan... View Post
              Ok, then redrill it is. All I gotta do now is find a reputable shop that can redrill them for me..
              Ya redrill is the best way. That is what I did on mine. Adapters would look fine in the rear but up front that would put you at et3 and mine were almost flush at et15.

Comment

ok, then that's what I'll do :)

Do you know of any tire shops/chains that are recommended for this? I've been trying to search on here and BFC and haven't really found any specific shops.. I'd hate to have the rims ruined because some idiot screwed up the drilling..

Comment

I purchased a set of re-drilled style 5's in 16x8 and to be honest, it was sketchy, though it was done professionally with inserts it was just too thin in the center, so I then sold it to my friend with an integra since he doesn't have enough power to break them. lol

I'd run spacers before I do re-drills. A 5 lug swap is also another option :)
                  Originally posted by audiquattrot
                  bimmers b4 b*tches....remember that.
                  1990 Alpinweiss 325i - secret 500whp build
                  2000 Audi S4 B5 Laser Red
                  1990 Nissan 240sx - Drift Missile
                  2006 CBR600RR

Comment

do a 5 lug conversion. E36 stuff will cost about the same as a redrill if you can source it right.
                    My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Almost bought those for my e34, but yeah do a proper 5 lug and run them ;)
                      Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

just to play devil's advocate, 16x8 et5 in the front would be very easy to pull off with adapters and the right tires. i wouldn't say it's quite as cut and dry as some of you are making it seem.

full suspension swap for a single set of wheels? well considering the likelihood and cost of finding an e30 m3 5-lug setup, you'll be using e36 stuff, which has a wider track and you'll end up sitting pretty close to the same as the wheels with 18mm adapters.

redrill? i've seen some of the redrills on style 5s and they are terribly confidence inspiring. cost wise it will be close and you'll be able to get them to sit further in, but i've never thought these wheels were great candidates for a safe redrill.
                        8380 Laboratories
                        M3 Champs Poster

Comment

i really wanted to run these too. they are the best style 5 rim that bmw has made so far, if you ask me. decided against it for the above reasons, and went with e36 offset wheels instead.

Comment

Just picked up my set for 210 and getting fill and redrill for 200 bills. Can't wait.

Comment

I did a little testing with the idea and you would be able to use an adapter but you would need something like a 205/40-205/45 tire. I put a 20mm spacer on the front of a car with a redrilled style 5 on 205/40s and it was just about flush if not a little sunk in. A little camber always helps too though.

Comment

Working...
                              X