No announcement yet.

Thinking of cancelling my S38 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I got the temp gauge to work last night, had to install a M20 temp sender and traced the wires back, they needed to be flipped in the two prong connector.

Car came back from the exhaust shop, sounds pretty mean, no cats, only a single Billy Boat muffler! My wife complains she can here me running the engine in a detached garage while she is in the shower! Thinking some inline resonators might help.

Took it for a light spin until I make sure everything is tight, I had every single component off the car so just taking it easy but I do like it so far!
    www.eurowinnipeg.com
    www.E30S38.com
    E30 Mtec2-S38 | V10 TDI treg | E34 M5 | E39 M5 | Corrado turbo VR6

Comment

Liking the s38 power? I like to see pics on s38 swap roll call when you are done.
      Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

What wiring harness did you guess all use? The m20 or S38?
        "Driving anything else would be uncivilised"

Comment

I used the S38 one but I am going to build a Megasquirt one next.
          www.eurowinnipeg.com
          www.E30S38.com

Comment

Originally posted by e30m3s54turbo View Post
            Liking the s38 power? I like to see pics on s38 swap roll call when you are done.
            The power is great but I wish it had a bit more low end. I have been driving a E39 M5 all summer and getting use to the torque! I still need to install a Dinan chip I have, hopefully that helps a bit. (not that its slow by any means)

I will get some pictures up.
            www.eurowinnipeg.com
            www.E30S38.com

Comment

I am in the process of using megasquirt on my S38, had a couple of gremlins in the harness that still needs to be sorted. But I can't wait to get it finished!

Comment

Originally posted by Sharino View Post
                The power is great but I wish it had a bit more low end. I have been driving a E39 M5 all summer and getting use to the torque! I still need to install a Dinan chip I have, hopefully that helps a bit. (not that its slow by any means)

I will get some pictures up.
                Ha, 260ft/lb not enough in your e30 eh? I hear you though, the power at 4000 rpm is so strong that it makes the torque at below 4k feel almost lethargic. I am currently swapping to b38 cam gears to increase low end torque and bring it earlier in the rev band as well.

Comment

I have b38 cam gears in mine as well as well a B38 crank so its going to be interesting to see what numbers I get

Comment

Originally posted by ja burna View Post
                    I have b38 cam gears in mine as well as well a B38 crank so its going to be interesting to see what numbers I get
                    Did changing the b38 cam gears alone make a noticeable difference to you from b36?

Comment

Originally posted by fronton View Post
                      Did changing the b38 cam gears alone make a noticeable difference to you from b36?
                      Interested in this also.

Hard to find the cam gears or just get them new? Any other parts required?

Just wondering how this will run with a Dinan or MarkD chip tune? Any links on the upgrade?
                      www.eurowinnipeg.com
                      www.E30S38.com

Comment

my current thread about it: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34...r-upgrade.html

B38 cam gears are hard to get but Blunt was able to track them down for me. $225 for intake and exhaust, took a a few weeks to get from Europe.

Comment

I don't have any comparison between the 36 and 38 cam gears. The motor was built with them already installed. I bought them new when I lived in Germany.

Comment

One other question for you guys with completed swap. Since I used 20mm spacers for the front subframe, the rack sits lower. Now the steering u-joint (not sure if proper name) will not slide all the way onto the splines of the rack. There is a locking/pinch bolt there but makes me kinda nervous its not completely on. What did you guys do? I am running a stock rack btw.
                            www.eurowinnipeg.com
                            www.E30S38.com

Comment

Car is still overheating around the city. Any ideas? I have power bled it a few times using an AirLift bleeder. Its fine on the highway. I added a 12" electric puller fan, should I need more than that? its creeps up in temperature until it hits the red. Really stumped again, want to enjoy the car for the few months we have left before snow!
                              www.eurowinnipeg.com
                              www.E30S38.com

Comment

I had the same problem.. I ended up having a custom radiator built and a getting a larger electric fan.. Problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                                X