Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 Cam Gears NLA

Guys,

Looks like the Cam Gears for the M42/M44 are NLA. I had priced them out about a year ago and now they are no longer available. May want to snatch up a couple if you know of them before you can't find them anywhere

318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Well shit...

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Interesting.. I have a couple sets of these I'm going to hold on to.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
      '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
      '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

These m42's will soon be as expensive to rebuild as the s14...
        NASA
        BMWCCA member
        PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
        1997 M3 sedan
        2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

I need to get one rebuilt stat and hoard all the parts i can.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Well, that's a shitty thing for BMW to do. Of all the things for them to discontinue...they choose cam gears.

Part of the reason I went for an m52 swap was because of the cost to rebuild one of these things. The #6 chain guide is $189!!
            '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
            '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

I doubt they've been ended, but are probably just backordered awaiting new production. After all, the M42/44 had a very large production run, so even if they are really NLA from BMW an aftermarket supplier will step in.

Comment

Originally posted by e30s50dan View Post
                These m42's will soon be as expensive to rebuild as the s14...
                They're already expensive enough to rebuild....

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                  so even if they are really NLA from BMW an aftermarket supplier will step in.
                  I hope so, because the engine eats its cam sprockets and just about every single M42 on the road which hasn't had them replaced by now surely needs them.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                    I hope so, because the engine eats its cam sprockets and just about every single M42 on the road which hasn't had them replaced by now surely needs them.

I was one of the lucky ones who did all the timing stuff just in time. My sprockets looked great. I wanna buy a second m42 and rebuild it completely. Thats becoming quite the task. I can even find one.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

That's quite dumb of BMW, but I also imagine they will come around available again. At a much much higher price than when they went NLA of course, which is typical BMW.

Glad I have a nice set of used ones with no appreciable wear.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

The e36 M42 sprockets fit, right? I think the early M42 timing system in general is poorly designed but the Cam sprockets on my e36 M42 look fine. Even the E30 ones look good. I have 2 sets and all look good. 'Look' good anyways.

Comment

I have an M42 W/5 Speed set up from a 91 I may be getting rid of, Had a cracked head. Replaced the head, timing gears, chain and guides. Could never get the car started. Ended up selling the car and helping the kid put in an M20 I had laying around.
                          sigpic
                          Steve Corbett
                          1983 528E Scrapped
                          1983 528E Sold
                          1984 745I
                          1984 325E - Sold
                          1989 325I Bronzit-Sold
                          1989 325I Zinno
                          1988 635CSI

Comment

Well, that is lame. I just ordered 2 sets to keep in storage from getbmwparts.com (they usually indicate when they are out of stock of something) at $40 per sprocket.

ECS, RM European, Turner, FCP and most of the other common sources seem to be out. Pelican Parts looks like they have them in stock still. Get 'em while you can, just in case.

What I fear is that they return to production under some "OE" brand which outsources the casting to China and the parts end up being pot-metal that fails catastrophically 5 minutes into service.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                              Well, that is lame. I just ordered 2 sets to keep in storage from getbmwparts.com (they usually indicate when they are out of stock of something) at $40 per sprocket.

ECS, RM European, Turner, FCP and most of the other common sources seem to be out. Pelican Parts looks like they have them in stock still. Get 'em while you can, just in case.

What I fear is that they return to production under some "OE" brand which outsources the casting to China and the parts end up being pot-metal that fails catastrophically 5 minutes into service.
                              I ordered two off Getbmwparts last night after seeing this thread and received a message this morning of “on order”. Did you get something different? I was just about to start buying for a total timing refresh, this really bums me out.

Comment

Working...
                              X