No announcement yet.

M42 Cam Gears NLA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The s14 cam gears are the same as the s38 cam gears (since it is 2/3 of an s38) which were fitted to the 84 M635csi and started production in 1983.

The m42 cam gears are completely different and were designed like 5/6 years later for the m42 which came out in 89 in europe. You can see the difference with the s38/s14 cam gears looking like a dinosaur based on the m88 cam gear vs the m42 one

318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

I typed in the part number on ebay and several new ones came up. This link shows 5 available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BMW-E36...ZRzc0M&vxp=mtr
      '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
      '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
        I typed in the part number on ebay and several new ones came up. This link shows 5 available.

Just ordered (2) from the other vendor in Nashville on ebay. Thanks CodyM42, fingers crossed they deliver and are the real deal.

Comment

Isn't the M42 / M44 derivative of the M50 family in many ways?
          At least thats what I have always heard it was basically 2/3 of an M5X. I have heard of people saying the pistons and rods from that family work in them.

Would there be any family similarity in any of the M5X engines (similar to the S14-S38 family resemblance)?
          Jimmy P.
          87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
          88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
          88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
          92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
          98 318Ti Morea Green
          04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

I think that everyone's best bet is the M44. The gears are half the price, and identical except for the TDC indicator pin, which is only needed on the exhaust side. As far as I can tell from photos, the thing is exactly the same (M42 and M44 use the same chain PN), and you might be able to drill/add the pin yourself. Positioning of the pin is not likely to need to be super precise since it only tells the ECU whether cylinder 1 is on its compression or exhaust stroke.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

I have 3 m44 engines ,two early ,and a z3 1.9 I know the two early m44's will work,but don't think the z3 will work..different number according to realoem. All in great shape��

I'm going to rebuild my M42 soon,not sure what shape they are in 164k ��
              NASA
              BMWCCA member
              PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
              1997 M3 sedan
              2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post

Will be buying a set of these tomorrow. Since its payday

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Well, I ordered 2 today and about three hours later received the dear John email from the vendor refunding my money and apologizing that they showed 10 in stock. They are out. I have to laugh at this point as I now have $200 credits on my credit card from failed purchase attempts in the past three days. Of course I found two more vendors on ebay and bought one from each but I think we all know where this is going to end.

Comment

Originally posted by av8drvr View Post
                    Well, I ordered 2 today and about three hours later received the dear John email from the vendor refunding my money and apologizing that they showed 10 in stock. They are out. I have to laugh at this point as I now have $200 credits on my credit card from failed purchase attempts in the past three days. Of course I found two more vendors on ebay and bought one from each but I think we all know where this is going to end.

Damn was really hoping to snag a couple from them.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by av8drvr View Post
                      I bet they know these are NLA,and bet you will see them back on eBay for twice or three time more
                      NASA
                      BMWCCA member
                      PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                      1997 M3 sedan
                      2001 325CI DD

Comment

2 more separate ebay vendors both sent the refunds last night. That about does it for me. I really hate the idea of buttoning up my engine with all new components and close to $1K invested and have them spinning around two worn parts.

Comment

There's another solution. Convert to single row timing chain, using Metric Mechanic sprocket and timing chain kit.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                          '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
                          '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

I am running the single row setup. The cam gears are modified stock ones. So that is not really an option.

However, if you are going to have them sell you the kit, you could probably have them do the small extra work to install the reference pin on M44 gears, which I think are identical except for missing that pin.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
                              There's another solution. Convert to single row timing chain, using Metric Mechanic sprocket and timing chain kit.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                              I think you need to provide a set for him to machine down!
                              NASA
                              BMWCCA member
                              PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                              1997 M3 sedan
                              2001 325CI DD

Comment

M44 engines are going to be the (now current) and future donors for us m42 guys. Best way to go here would be to find a local m44 and grab the whole timing case. Deflection wheel for m44 is better and the updated case will direct swap right over.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                                Ig:ryno_pzk
                                I like the tuna here.
                                Originally posted by lambo
                                Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Working...
                                X