Have a bad O.E. cat laying around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a bad O.E. cat laying around?

I want to install the IE muffler but I have completely aftermarket exhaust. I'm looking to buy someones bad cat to cut off the two pipes and flanges that come out of the back of the cat and weld them onto my pipes.

Or to save on shipping cost since the rest of it would be trash anyways, find someone willing to cut them off and ship them to me.

Seriously just take a sawzall to the nearest junkyard. Probably much cheaper than having someone ship any part of that to you.

Comment

I just went to couple of yards on Sat. All the cars had the cats hacked out already...I assume the yards cut em and recycle them or its some EPA law ???

Comment

Well it's illegal to sell a used catalytic converter. And in Cali I wouldn't be surprised if you got the death penalty for it, so I have no idea what else they'd be doing with it.

Comment

I've got a couple of old cats around here- I can cut off whatever you need, PM me or email me.

BTW- junkyards make good $$$ from recycling cats- most cats use platinum as the catalyst and last I checked, platinum was selling for ~$1000 per oz!!!

I recently sold some E30 cats to a local specialty recycler for ~$50 each.

There's a place in TX that will buy them for ~$60 or more- just cut the excess pipe off and ship them and they send you a check. BMW cats seem to be worth more than most other cats when you sell them for scrap, I guess they use more platinum in them then other companies.

Bret.

Comment

Still Got Some Cats Laying Around

I would love if you could cut the fron downpipe portion off and mail them let em know that you want monetarily. and if its decent you got a deal

Mods to come:IS LIP RyanG(scored) MTechII Rear (SCORED) Shadowline (soon) Tint (soon) Umnitza HLConv w/HID ( wow am i broke yet)

Comment

Originally posted by UniqueBmw
              I would love if you could cut the fron downpipe portion off and mail them let em know that you want monetarily. and if its decent you got a deal
              You've got PM.

and Motors4Me- I'm cutting your part + shipping tomorrow (tues). Would have done it this weekend or today- but I've been in bed sick..... :(

Thanks, Bret.

Comment

Not a problem at all, hope you feel better!

Comment

they do use platinum in ALL cats, but the process to remove the platinum is extremely hazardous and specialized, which is why only a few places will buy them. but they are still worth money none-the-less...
                  IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by golde30
                    they do use platinum in ALL cats, but the process to remove the platinum is extremely hazardous and specialized, which is why only a few places will buy them. but they are still worth money none-the-less...

Some cats use Palladium as the catalyst- it's still worth $$ too though...

UniqueBmw- I sent you a PM- let me know ASAP if you want the downpipes- they are cut + ready to be shipped. If you don't let me know in the next day or two- it will be early next week before I can get it shipped since I'm going t the track this weekend.

Bret.

Comment

Parts came today, exactly what I needed.
                      Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                      X