No announcement yet.

Acceptable and Unacceptable Harbor Freight Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing deals on this 3/4In Ball Joint Separator at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Makes changing control arms a snap, or more like a pop!
    Last edited by der affe; 02-21-2013, 10:23 PM.

Comment

The socket adapters and extentions are iffy. Ive broken quite a few but I have 2 sets of the adapters.

Good
      Sockets
      Welding cart ($50, stable, had to cut a kittle to get all the lines in the welder)
      Floor jack
      Gloves
      Angle grinder (wears out)
      Breaker bars

Bad
      Ratchets
      Pen size propane torch
      Torque wrench
      www.cp-e.com

1989 Zinno 325i m52 turbo coupe
      2015 Ford Fiesta ST, Daily Driver.

Comment

Originally posted by E30 331is View Post
        http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-qua...tor-99849.html

Makes changing control arms a snap, or more like a pop!
        Huh, I have wondered whether that thing works well or not, have you had any problems with it ever?

Comment

good:
          calipers
          welding stuff
          simple tools
          side grinder
          clamps
          jackstands
          simple metal stuff

bad:
          sockets. a rounded or cracked socket will ruin your day, and your knuckles.

any type of drill bits, taps, extractors. the "save your ass" tools which need to be made of strong steel, and totally backfire if they break.. craftsman or better minimum!!
          taps and drill bits are perhaps the #1 case example of getting what you pay for, don't cheap out on them.

any cutting tool, such as tin snips mentioned earlier.
          strong hand tools which I tend to abuse such as pliers, HF ones get all distorted, just don't cut it.
          Even pipe wrenches and channel-locks I'd be skeptical of.

most other power tools, with the expectation that they'll be trash after 2-3 jobs usually they are cheap enough to get your money's worth so they are in a gray area. i moved side grinder up the list because i have not managed to break that thing yet.. but most of the saws and drills I've burned up. If it's "light duty" and you treat them with kid gloves then ok, but if you intend to power through a job then you will quickly find that you have more balls than the kids in China that these were made for.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
          If you ever sell that car, tell me first. I want to be the first to not be able to afford it.

Comment

Great idea for a thread!

Good:

Long handle wrenches. I have done my best to try and break them using the "attach the box end of one to the open end of the other to get leverage" trick but they held up great.

Glass blast media. I used this to completely strip a set of wheels down to bare metal that, ironically enough, I bought from the OP!

Amazing deals on this 50Lb 80 Grit Glass Bead Abrasive Media at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Last edited by agent; 02-21-2013, 12:09 PM.
            Originally posted by kronus
            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I recently bought a pair of their spring compressors. I think they were like $10 and they worked fine but they look like very cheap cast metal and I'm skeptical of using them again. For a one time use job a lot of HF tools are great.

91 318is M50 swapped
              05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                bad:
                sockets. a rounded or cracked socket will ruin your day, and your knuckles.
                I have never had a HF socket fail on me yet, but then again, the "ratchet attachment" parts I have from HF are impact sockets, male and female torx sockets/bits, and allen bits. But none of them have failed, even after putting tons of torque through them.

Comment

Those spring compressors look sketch as hell, lol. I wouldn't have used them once.
                  1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                    Huh, I have wondered whether that thing works well or not, have you had any problems with it ever?
                    It works amazingly. Get the tool positioned and tighten it down good and give the joint a few whacks with a hammer and it'll pop right out. I think when people have problems with this tool they're just tightening the tool only to try and get the joint to pop on its own. Not a good idea.

Comment

I even take it to the yard with me, its soooooo easy! no problems what so ever, its better than a pry fork and I dont have to use a BFH! worth the $15 I paid.

Comment

I have had good luck with lots of their tools, but I wanted to point out a few of the BAD ones.

BAD:

Vice grips. Terrible. The jaws round off and after only a few uses, they don't want to stay shut anymore

BAD:

Ratcheting breaker bar. I have broken two of these so far. It's sad because I love the idea, but they just don't stand up to any significant amount of torque. If you want to use these, don't use them as a breaker bar, just a long ratchet (LOL)

'89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

What about a regular breaker bar? Been wanting to pick one up. Afraid I'd snap the handle.
                          91 318is M50 swapped
                          05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                            Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

I have never had a HF socket fail on me yet, but then again, the "ratchet attachment" parts I have from HF are impact sockets, male and female torx sockets/bits, and allen bits. But none of them have failed, even after putting tons of torque through them.
                              In HF's defense the sockets I've busted I can't confirm if they were from there, but def were NOT impact rated.

also just remembered, that set of 3 prybars with the orange handles, both smaller ones chipped the edges off and all 3 bent like a bananna.
                              sigpic
                              Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
                              If you ever sell that car, tell me first. I want to be the first to not be able to afford it.

Comment

*snip* courtesy of Danny
                                I have to say that any of the allen or torx sockets are total shit. I've broken several of them just trying to loosen bolts.
                                Last edited by Danny; 02-21-2013, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X