Acceptable and Unacceptable Harbor Freight Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bglad View Post
    I have to say that any of the allen or torx sockets are total shit. I've broken several of them just trying to loosen bolts.

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
    What about a regular breaker bar? Been wanting to pick one up. Afraid I'd snap the handle.
    I've had good luck with the regular breaker bars.
    '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

^^^

HA HA HA that's a good one, haven't seen that before. Very apt, as well.

so yeah, please don't quote 27 large pictures just to make one small comment one one small point in that quote.
      Last edited by iamsam; 02-21-2013, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
        I have had good luck with lots of their tools, but I wanted to point out a few of the BAD ones.

BAD:

Vice grips. Terrible. The jaws round off and after only a few uses, they don't want to stay shut anymore

mine have been working fine for a year now
        "I wanna see da boat movie"
        "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
          What about a regular breaker bar? Been wanting to pick one up. Afraid I'd snap the handle.
          I can vouch for these:

I've had mine for years and done all kinds of stuff with it, including snapping off a bunch of 7/16" bolts holding my Jeep together. Also snapped a bunch of HF socket adapters with it, too, so there's that. I'll also vouch for the 1/2" extensions, often used in conjunction with this very breaker bar.

In general: if it has parts that move during operation, I'll skip it. Otherwise, go for it!
          sigpic
          "WRC is for boys. Group B was for men!" - Juha Kankkunen

CO's premier forum for all things rally - coloradorallyracing.com

Comment

Good to know! I'll be making a HF trip this weekend!
            91 318is M50 swapped
            05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

GOOD:

Bought two sets of these on sale for $15 a pair. Heavy duty and work great. Planning on picking up some of the 6-ton version so I can get the car higher off the ground.

Had one for several years now. Other then cutting the handle down a bit (REALLY long), it's been great.

Use this guy at work every day to smack parts down in a vise (machinist). It's getting pretty beat to hell looking, but still works great.

Beat the hell out of this thing and it just keeps on going. Got the 2-year warranty for like $10, so I plan just taking it back and exchanging it for a new one a bit before it is up.

BAD:

After a few uses, the point on these becomes a rounded nub. Still works ok for making a punch mark, but would be better if pointed.
              Last edited by AndrewBird; 02-21-2013, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Bad: These are shit...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                  Bad: These are shit...

[img][/img]
                  Dad bought a shit ton of those. They work well, until you actually try to use them. I snapped the innards of them all when trying to hold stuff down relatively tightly.
                  1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
                    I can vouch for these:

(HUMANGOUS PIC OF 1/2" BREAKER BAR)

I've had mine for years and done all kinds of stuff with it, including snapping off a bunch of 7/16" bolts holding my Jeep together. Also snapped a bunch of HF socket adapters with it, too, so there's that. I'll also vouch for the 1/2" extensions, often used in conjunction with this very breaker bar.

In general: if it has parts that move during operation, I'll skip it. Otherwise, go for it!
                    actually I broke one of those, the square socket interface nub nipple thing just rolled right off. I may have put 400lbs of force on it but honestly who doesn't expect those things to be able to handle a good shove.
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
                    If you ever sell that car, tell me first. I want to be the first to not be able to afford it.

Comment

Good, used these aluminum stands for light duty... I cant trust them 100% and I always leave my HF aluminum jack under car for backup lol

Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                      http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I'll agree with MasterOfPuppets. Never had a single issue with my breaker bar. then again they arent very complex. I also keep it in my trunk in case someone wants to get beat.

GOOD

GOOD. Bearing Puller.

BAD. Another bearing puller. Broke right when i used it...took it back anyway. They didnt even check. Sorry. Im a bad person.
                        I don't even own this car anymore, but I'm too lazy to change the picture.

Comment

The HF Earthquake 3/8 and 1/2in impacts are AMAZING, the 3/8's one is my go to for everything.Cant really say enough good things about these, AS LONG AS YOU OIL THEM!!
                          The impact sockets as stated above are really good.

The torque wrenches are pretty junk (My experience), the 3/8's one broke my thermostat housing and striped the hole on my M42.

Sandpaper is kinda junk, i know 3m is expensive but HF stuff is junk.

Compression tester is pretty accurate, less than 5% off of a snap on gauge.

Angle grinder, air ratchet and cut of wheel air tools are great for the money, throw a good cut of wheel or wire brush with them and there perfect for the super chepness they are.

The giant axel sockets are pretty good for occasional usage (28,30,32,34mm)

Comment

Bad
                            Leakdown Tester: Absolute hogwash. Only tests at 15psi and was terribly off compared to an "OTC" unit I compared it to.

Comment

Bad:
                              750 Lb. Engine Stand
                              I made the mistake of buying this. It only has three wheels so it WILL tip over if you are doing anything on the motor which requires a bit of force, or you need to wheel the stand/engine around on uneven or bumpy surfaces. Ask me how I found out. Yeah my m20 block tipped and I some how managed to ketch it before it hit the ground. Heavy mother f**ker!
                              sigpic
                              "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
                                Bad:
                                750 Lb. Engine Stand
                                I made the mistake of buying this. It only has three wheels so it WILL tip over if you are doing anything on the motor which requires a bit of force, or you need to wheel the stand/engine around on uneven or bumpy surfaces. Ask me how I found out. Yeah my m20 block tipped and I some how managed to ketch it before it hit the ground. Heavy mother f**ker!
                                My S50 Is sitting on one of these....Hmmmm. Time to remove it.

I love their orange Jack stands, ive had them forever and they work great.
                                All of their big sockets are great. ive used the 3/4 Inch ones to press many wheel bearings and bushings in and out.
                                1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                                1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                                1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                                1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Working...
                                X