R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > General Forums > Off Topic Lounge > Politics and Religion

Old 09-16-2014, 11:09 PM   #1
deutschman
R3V Elite

legal robbery

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

deutschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:26 PM   #2
mrsleeve
I waste 90% of my day here and all I got was this stupid title

vid no longer exists man
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
William Pitt-
mrsleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:03 AM   #3
decay
R3V Elite

guessing this is about traffic stop cash seizures, since that's all up in the media lately?

good argument for bitcoin.

find me a cop who understands that what he needs to take my assets is my private key. i dare you.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:31 AM   #4
Dozyproductions
R3V Elite

Something like this?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/inv...top-and-seize/
Old 09-17-2014, 01:32 AM   #5
mrsleeve

Ahhh the Civil Asset forfeiture laws is what I was assuming as well. I tried to get a conversation going about this a few years ago here.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...olicing+profit

then Dozy brought it back up 2 years ago
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...olicing+profit
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
William Pitt-
Old 09-17-2014, 06:39 AM   #6
The Dark Side of Will
R3VLimited

Civil forfeiture is unconstitutional court sanctioned left, brought to our society mostly be the drug war.
The Dark Side of Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
Dozyproductions
R3V Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
Civil forfeiture is unconstitutional court sanctioned left, brought to our society mostly be the drug war.
thank you for that. I wonder though, when the officer gives you those two options to either give him the money or follow him to the station if you can just have the right to leave. It seems like the first two options rely on your consent.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #8
mrsleeve

^
Nope then you will get drug out the car window, beaten, tazed while being yelled at to stop resisting while your arms are at their physical limits of forced contortion and likely broken. maybe even pepper sprayed while they are at it, and thats if your lucky, you would have to consider your self lucky to not get shot anymore for daring to question the authority of a constable

William Pitt-
Old 09-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #9
Dozyproductions
R3V Elite

I've used the, "Am I free to go?" routine and it worked. hmmm, in the likely scenario they threaten with calling the k-9
http://www.citylab.com/commute/2014/...nes-sure/8293/
Old 09-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #10
mrsleeve

^

Yup that works then they call the dog and let him stand on your hood and climb all over your nice paint job and scratch and gouge it all too hell. And you HAVE NO RECOURSE with them to recoup the funds to repair it since there was "reasonable suspicion" to call the dog made up or other wise . If the dog trips or steps funny on a rock on the shoulder of the road thats a" hit " and they will rip your shit apart along side the high way and leave it lay for you to figure out how to get back together

William Pitt-
Old 09-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #11
The Dark Side of Will
R3VLimited

I have no idea why people consent to searches.

The very best possible outcome is picking up everything that used to be in your car off the side of the road and repacking it into your car.
The Dark Side of Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #12
Dozyproductions
R3V Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsleeve View Post
^

Yup that works then they call the dog and let him stand on your hood and climb all over your nice paint job and scratch and gouge it all too hell. And you HAVE NO RECOURSE with them to recoup the funds to repair it since there was "reasonable suspicion" to call the dog made up or other wise . If the dog trips or steps funny on a rock on the shoulder of the road thats a" hit " and they will rip your shit apart along side the high way and leave it lay for you to figure out how to get back together
As the article says, that would be the case only if you get stopped by a k9 unit.

Just read this concerning cali's laws:
http://www.shouselaw.com/asset_forfeiture.html#1.1

AKA: laws saying you need a conviction regarding to money under $25000. Police can easily get around it.

I saw somewhere that CA ended with a D grade regarding the laws and actions taken place in the name of asset forfeiture. resistance is futile.

Last edited by Dozyproductions; 09-17-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Dozyproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #13
mrsleeve

Most states have a bad record and poor citizen protection laws when it comes to asset forfeiture

William Pitt-
Old 09-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #14
CorvallisBMW
Long Schlong Longhammer

Sadly it's become such an issue in the US that it's started gaining international attention:

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-29228851

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/america...oney-1.2760736

The more I read and research in to current police practices, the more I'm disgusted and ashamed
I thought a rim job had more to do with the other...eh....end....

Or have I been licking buttholes for no reason all this time?
CorvallisBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:34 PM   #15
Wschnitz
R3V OG

Can this cameras on all cops thing hurry up too? Govment still thinks its the 80s and everyone is a gang banger slinging drugs packing 9s in their shorts.

Silly laws are silly. Problem is no one is challenging the Civil Forfeiture laws, you gotta lawyer up basically if it happens to you, constitutional rights dont matter anymore.