First step towards homeowners, again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First step towards homeowners, again!

Well, finally getting settled in life, and we are ready to give our kids a permanent home to grow up in.

I work with a Married couple who is retiring this year and moving back to New York. The lady kept telling me to buy her house, but based off of pictures I didn't think there's any way I could afford it.

Long story short, we are leaving real estate agents on the sidelines, and they gave us a price that I couldn't refuse. Just got approved for financing, and will be talking to the loan officer this afternoon.

We won't be closing until August, but I figured I would go ahead and get the ball rolling, since I will still need a home inspection and appraisal done. 5 months isn't really all that much time.

We're excited!

House in question.

Note that structure, disconnected and off to the side.... It's big, real big. Could house at LEAST 2 e30's, a Miata, 1 B5 S4 race car, and Kid hauler. I kid, I kid. Just the S4, hauler, and Miata...... Plus a boat eventually, for those early Sunday morning escapes to the lake to get my good ol' fashioned Redneck on.
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Congratulations! The property looks wonderful. Is the house a traditional construction on a foundation or is it moveable?

It's great that you have the option to exclude a RE agent.
    I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Congratulations! The property looks wonderful. Is the house a traditional construction on a foundation or is it moveable?

It's great that you have the option to exclude a RE agent.

Comment

It's a modular technically, but listed as a rancher. There's no moving it, permanent setup. 3 br, 2 full bath. Not the biggest home but the current owners did a lot of renovations when they purchased it 5 years go. Also, 2.5 acre lot so plenty of room to expand if need be down the road.
        No E30 Club
        Originally posted by MrBurgundy
        Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Congratulations! But I would highly advise having a Realtor preside over the transaction. They practice the law of real estate. There is no harm or offense in practicing your due diligence.
          Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
          Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
          Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

From what I've seen having purchased a home a year ago, real estate agents don't really do much of anything besides search the multiple listing service database and let you into the home to look around.

Get a good real estate attorney, this was the most important thing for us, he knew what he was doing and had worked hundreds of transactions in the area so he knew the local laws and got everything done right the first time.

Screw paying a real estate agent, if you can close without one, more money in your pocket. Wit the advent of the internet, the agent is eventually going to go the way of the dodo bird.

Comment

Originally posted by mbonder View Post
              From what I've seen having purchased a home a year ago, real estate agents don't really do much of anything besides search the multiple listing service database and let you into the home to look around.

Get a good real estate attorney, this was the most important thing for us, he knew what he was doing and had worked hundreds of transactions in the area so he knew the local laws and got everything done right the first time.

Screw paying a real estate agent, if you can close without one, more money in your pocket. Wit the advent of the internet, the agent is eventually going to go the way of the dodo bird.
              Yeah, there is a difference in how real estate transactions are completed on the east coast versus west coast. We don't have real estate attorneys who preside over transactions. We have Realtors (brokers and agents) who serve the same function as a real estate attorney on the east coast. They do the exact same things.

I thought that that real estate attorneys were exclusive to the north east and everywhere else used Realtors. I could be wrong.
              Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
              Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
              Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by mbonder View Post

Seller pays RE commissions.

Comment

Don't get totally fixated on one place just because of the garage. I know it's easy to do, but in the end it's more valuable to have a nice house (modulars ain't it IMO) and add a garage if needed.

Comment

There are plenty of people who care more about the garage then the house. So many people spend so little time inside the house anyway.
                    1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                    willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                      There are plenty of people who care more about the garage then the house. So many people spend so little time inside the house anyway.
                      If this is the house he will grow old in, then yes.

If he plans to sell and see a greater return on his investment, I'll wager living space trumps garage space for most home buyers. Garage > house is probably a very small percentage of the market.

Comment

i grew up in one for most of my younger life, if they are renovated well and that one looks like it it should be okay, worst comes to worst he will own the land and could build a new home eventually anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
                          i grew up in one for most of my younger life, if they are renovated well and that one looks like it it should be okay, worst comes to worst he will own the land and could build a new home eventually anyway.
                          True enough, but they're generally not well built, have some specialized fittings and fasteners that you can't work with unless you find a store that caters to them. That's before we even get in to the roofing issues that are more than likely present when you can't inspect the roof deck.

Whatever the case, if it fits the budget and it's objectively the correct home for the OP/fam then by all means. Just go in to it with a critical mind, more so than with any other purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                            Yeah, there is a difference in how real estate transactions are completed on the east coast versus west coast. We don't have real estate attorneys who preside over transactions. We have Realtors (brokers and agents) who serve the same function as a real estate attorney on the east coast. They do the exact same things.

I thought that that real estate attorneys were exclusive to the north east and everywhere else used Realtors. I could be wrong.
                            People love to hate on RE agents, those people sometimes get taken for a ride when purchasing homes without one. A real estate attorney does not preside over a transaction, not in Virginia at least where the OP is buying a home. I'm not sure of any place or state that uses attorneys to do a deal from start to finish. A RE attorney only does the closing once you get a house under contract, so they're only doing the deed prep and title transfer and the associated duties related to ownership passing from a seller to a buyer and taking the deed to be recorded down at the courthouse.

It sounds like the sellers in this case might not be using a listing agent to represent them either, at least you're on equal footing OP.

If anyone goes into a deal that has a listing agent and thinks they're going to save money by not using a buyers agent is a fool. A seller agrees to pay a certain percentage of the sales prices to commission upfront, that's signed in writing as part of they're pre-listing documents. The listing agent then offers up half of that agreed upon commission to a buyers agent as incentive to show and hopefully sell their listing. If you go into a transaction and elect to be unrepresented all you're doing is putting yourself at a disadvantage and giving the listing agent a full commission. Basically either way someone is getting paid, you might as well bring an agent to represent you to the party. Selling of homes and other properties is a highly regulated business, most Realtors are very highly trained and well versed in the laws of real estate and are there for your protection and to keep you from doing something stupid to open yourself up to a lawsuit.
                            2004 BMW e60 525i - Daily
                            1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy
                            1994 Jeep Wrangler - Summer Toy
                            1993 Range Rover Classic - Handsome Looker that never gets driven

Comment

Well done. Home ownership is cool.

Hope the community around you and schools servicing your kids are just as great.

Nice garage too... lift?
                              ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Working...
                              X